MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad is Full of Aches and Pains – any advice?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad is Full of Aches and Pains – any advice?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jen06

My dad was diagonosed with MDS/AML 18 months ago. They think that it may have tranformed to AML around 6 months ago. He was given one course of chemo in order for a BMT but reacted really badly and they decided that he was not a suitable candidate for this. He now has weekly transfusions of blood and platelets and that is it. His platelet count is normally around 5 (very low). He is now covered in red spots (is it petichaie?) and says that his body aches all over. He rarely leaves his bed and is hardly able to walk. The hospital have basically said there is no more they can do for him at this time. Does anyone know of any self help remedies around that may help to make him more comfortable at his time. Would really appreciate any advice – many thanks.

gemloyear

Jen, Has your Dad had a BMB recently? AML is dx by the blast count in the bone marrow and the blood. The red spots(purplish) most likely are petecchia due to low platelets. My husband was full of petecchia when first dx with low platelets (thrombocytopenia). Blood clots cause a lot of pain but they are usually isolated to certain areas of the body. You should inform the Dr. as to how much pain he is in. Depending on what is causing his pain, sometimes prednisone helps and or opiates ie.oxycondone,or fenytanol. These are meds that helped my husband in the last years of his life.At least he was made more comfortable.We tried supplements, herbs and vitamins with little results. At this point I doubt that any self help remedies will alleviate the pain.I will pray that the Drs. will help him find some relief and comfort from his pain. By the way my husband signed papers at each Drs. office allowing them to give me information in person and via telephone regarding his current treatment and condition.Very soon your Dad will need you to advocate for him. God Bless.
    Take care Ellie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert