MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Desferal chelation question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Desferal chelation question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    helenr

Hello everyone

David has been chelating for 10 mth. Since April his dose has been 1.5g per infusion and his ferritin reduced from 5500 to 3200 in august when it plateaued and at last test has risen by 2000. His ferritin is tested before alternate txs. His CRP has been fluctuating but not enough to influence the ferritin so much.

Has anyone experienced this fluctuation? Does it lose its effectiveness? Has anyone used 2g per dose? He is very depressed.

Many thanks, Helen

sugarwhale

Dear Helen,
    I can’t answer many of your questions; but I think I can give you and your husband some good news. The FDA has now approved Exjade. This is an iron chelator like the Desferal infusions, except it’s just a pill that is dissolved in water or juice! No more infusions! Apparently it is being manufactured and distributed as I write this. My dear mom has MDS and is tx dependent. We’re hoping for the Revlimid. Her life depends on it. I hope that somehow, knowing about Exjade, cheers you both up! Good luck to you both and to everyone in our same boat!
    Your friend,
    Janet

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert