MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

diet/supplements

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board diet/supplements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    robert rogus
    Participant

My husband currently has low platelet count and is diagnosed with MDS. Has anyone had improvement with either any particular foods or supplements of any kind (vitamins or herbs)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Robert, For foods to boost platelets see page 27 of the MDS News here https://mds-foundation.org/wp-content/uploads/manual/2015fallnewsletter.pdf. And don’t forget to discuss over-the-counter and prescription drugs, dietary supplements, vitamins, minerals, herbals, foods and diets that you are considering taking with your healthcare providers. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for the package insert for each drug you take. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about drug reactions and interactions to foods, beverages and other products. I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by .
    Richard Mousigian
    Participant

I’ve had a real protein craving the last couple of weeks since I started chemo. When I eat it’s usually eggs, cheese, nuts…at least I’m craving the right thing.

tam
    Participant

Robert,
    I was diagnosed with MDS over three years ago. One of my symptoms was a low platelet count. At the time I found research that suggested papaya leaves tea increases platelet counts. I found an online retailer Starwest Botanicals that sells organic papaya leaves with directions on how to prepare the tea. It is very simple. One tablespoon of leaves in a tea bag in boiling water for five minutes. I’ve been drinking the tea every night since being diagnosed. I noticed a slight gain in platelets in the first couple months. I have been able to hold my platelet count around 115-120 for the last three years. Clearly there are no grounds to conclude a cause-effect relationship because I changed other things in my life related to diet and exercise. Plus I’m a sample of one. However, there are no negative impacts on my health and my counts are holding steady so I’ll continue my nightly papaya tea ritual.
    tam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert