MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Disease Update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Disease Update

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

After a 7+ year run of watch and wait low risk MDS, my luck ran out and I started Vidaza in late August. First two cycles gave some promising results but after third cycle blood work tanked. I had a bone marrow biopsy which confirmed acute myeloid leukemia. I am 71 yrs old, and mulling transplant but not leaning that way. I enter Columbia University Medical Center (NYC) on 11/28 to begin treatment. The plan is to get blasts below 5% with induction and then begin consolidation. I’ll be an inpatient at Columbia for one month, hopefully followed with outpatient treatment locally, # I live 3 hours from NYC.

Be well folks.

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing in. We will keep you in our thoughts. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Ashley

debbie stern
    Participant

Michael,
    Can you please share what the plan is if you don’t do transplant. I am 73 and on a micro dose Decitabine protocol that has been keeping me stable for 4 and 1/2 years but my platelets are starting to fall.
    I also probably won’t do a transplant and am wondering what else your team is offering you after the month in the hospital. Feel free to email me privately at deblevstern@gmail.com. Thank you and best of luck!

Sylvia Rothbein
    Participant

Michael..
    Hi Michael..my 76 yo husband has high risk mds since May 2923 and has had 3 cycles of azacitadine and venetoclax. He is being evaluated for a transplant because the doctors at memorial sloan kettering told us that the chemo will stop working in about a year.
    We were excited about the transplant
    Until we spoke to a 85 yo high risk mds patient who has been on chemo for 8 years…dr raza at Columbia Presbyterian is anti transplant…we r sooo confused now cause a transplant is very high risk but my husband thought it was worth the risk since he will die in less than 2 years wo it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert