MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Do Organ Donations include Bone Marrow?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Do Organ Donations include Bone Marrow?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jonelle

Just curious — Can Bone Marrow be harvested much like a heart or other organ upon a person’s brain death?

jonelle

Just found an answer in case anyone is interested – http://www.2ndwind.org/transplantation/organ_donation/index.html
    – has info on this subject. What a wonderful contribution any healthy individual can make to his/her fellow human beings!!

“Tissue donation has become an increasingly important area to cover in any discussion on donation. Tissue donation can occur even when someone dies at home. Tissues that can be donated include skin, bone, bone marrow, corneas (from the eyes), and heart valves. Skin grafts are used for burn victims; bone is molded and used in reconstructive surgery; corneas are transplanted to give sight; and heart valves are used in valve replacement surgery. A donor who donates everything can save up to seven people and benefit up to 50 people. Even then an open casket funeral is possible as all organs and tissues are removed by skilled surgeons. “

jaxem

jonelle
    interesting topic but why not give stem cells while you are in good living condition rather than about to die or at brain death?

jonelle

Excellent point, Jack!

I am originally from NJ (Morris County) & have been following your posts. Thank you so much for your input.
    Your wife’s success with her treatments have given me (& I’m sure others) much hope & optimism. Best wishes to her & you!

lindajo

Any health individual can become a member of the National Bone Marrow donor network. There is a link on this website’s home page. Click at the bottom to go back to MDS website and then click on links.

gj

I found this question interesting and contacted the National Marrow Donor Program to see what they do.
    They do not collect marrow in advance and store it.
    That’s all they said.
    greg

jaxem

greg
    i can understand why they don’t collect marrow in advance (costs, etc.). what they probably do is to type each person so they know where to go if they need the marrow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert