MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

EPO Test result

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board EPO Test result

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    magpie75

I see my Doctor ran a test for Erythropoietin and the result # was 490.0 mIU/mL. He noted this was the level before starting Procrit. I think that means it is really high. Can anyone confirm this to me.
    I also think this indicates that Procrit will not work as I already have an abundance of EPO in me. I got the report from the Dr’s office to take with me to Johns Hopkins. But have not seen my local Doc for several weeks, have just been getting Procrit shots from the nurse.
    Thanks for your input.
    Maggie

patti

Maggie,

I’m can’t confirm that your EPO level is high but if that’s what it was prior to starting procrit and the procrit isn’t working than you are correct that it probably means your body has enough EPO already. Procrit did not work for my MIL as well for the same reason. Check the test next to the EPO level is there an L, H or nothing? If there’s nothing I would think it means you were in the normal range (they may even have the range for you on the paper – I know ours does). If there’s an H it would mean it’s high and the L would be low. It does somewhat depend on the lab but every test we’ve ever had done has had these indicators on it.

Best wishes,

patti

bobbie

Hi,

The Hutchinson Center in Seattle ran an EPO level on me and told me I would benefit. But, I didn’t because I ended up not having sufficient iron. I have bleeding ulcers (chronic vasculitis) and unless I get an iron infusion (Iron Dextran) my anemia doesn’t respond to Procrit or Aranesp. However, after IV iron, I can get a response for a bit. My diagnosis is secondary aplastic anemia and MDS-RA.

Best of luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert