MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Essiac Tea and WONDERFUL NEWS!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Essiac Tea and WONDERFUL NEWS!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    sugarwhale

Dear Forum Friends,
    I’ve just GOT to share what just happened! My mom has been able to RAISE her hemoglobin and RBC without the usual transfusions!!! She has been taking Essiac Tea. Oh, the teabags didn’t work. We got the capsules! She takes 3 per day and SHE IS BETTER!!! Our fine doctor agrees!!! This Holiday Season, we truly have something to celebrate!!!
    ~~~ Janet

CarolineG

Janet,

Wonderful, wonderful news!!!!! I am so happy for the 2 of you. It is time to hear GOOD news.

I have to look into Essiac Tea for Dad. Do you think it will help with CMML?

Blessings,
    Caroline

sugarwhale

Dear Caroline,
    First, thank you for being so understanding about the recent stress my poor mom and I are going through. When I read your email, I felt that you truly understood. We will never forgive the people (if that’s what you call them!) who are trying to hurt us. However, we hope to put them out of our lives forever. It meant a lot to me that you understood, and I thank you with all my heart.
    Now, about the Essiac Tea! Do I think it will help with CMML? Well, of course I don’t know. However, let me tell you what I DO know. This combination of roots was concocted by a Canadian (ta-dah!) nurse who got it from the Ojibway. She observed an Ojibway lady who had had untreated breast cancer for DECADES. True, it wasn’t cured. But it never hurt her! There are many, many cases where Essiac Tea has put various forms of cancer into remission. Now, my doctor (an M.D. in hematology/oncology who is OUTSTANDING) agrees with this. His recommendation was yes, it works; try it; it can’t hurt you!
    My mom first tried the teabags. Nothing happened. Now she takes 3 capsules per day. This resulted in…er…(how to say this nicely???) something like diarrhea and a VERY VERY mild stomach ache. These symptoms will go away. They are caused by the tea releasing impurities from the marrow. Caroline, my mom’s Hg went UP: without a transfusion!!!
    If I were you (and I’m NOT!), I would have your dad take 3 capsules of Essiac Tea per day and see what happens. The worst thing would be…nothing! It takes a couple of weeks to kick in.
    Now, as time goes on, I will keep you posted on my mom. I have also noticed that her appetite is very much improved! She came home from the doctor today and said, “Lord, I’m HUNGRY!” That was music to my ears!
    Now, Caroline, I can tell that we two have a lot in common. So, if there’s anything I can do to help you and your dad, just say the word! Essiac Tea is YOURS!! It’s CANADIAN! We love Canada! ‘Hope all this helps!
    ~~~ Janet

CarolineG

Thanks Janet.

I will look in the health food store for some capsules. We can’t give it to Dad at the moment though. He is in hospital with a whopping bowel infection which has him having diarrhea several times a day. The Dr. was planning to discharge Dad today but he has not managed 24 diarrhea-free hours yet.

Thanks for the background on Essiac Tea. Isn’t that an interesting story?

Bye for now.
    Caroline

Terri

Think I may try this for Bob.
    Always greatful for tips like this, Glad you Mom is doing better.

sugarwhale

Thank you, Terri!
    Today my mom spent hours in the MAUL doing Christmas shopping! I misspelled it deliberately. She is definitely better. We just hope it lasts. Good luck to you and your husband, Terri!
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Hi Janet, It’s great that your Mom is responding so well to the essiac tea.At 88, it’s wonderful that she has so much energy.I searched the internet and could not find the capsules.I would be welling to try the “tea” but the capsules seem so much easier.Where do you get the capsules ? And are they the original formula, 8 herbs? Would appreciate your information.Thanks so much.
    Ellie

sugarwhale

Dear Elle and Glen,
    We get the “tea” from our Health Foods Store. There are lots of preparations. If you “google” Essiac Tea, they’ll tell you about Flor-Essence, the teabags, the capsules, etc. The Web sites confused us, because they conflict with each other. So, I started reading the ingredients in the Health Foods Store. The teabags didn’t give much information. The original Canadian formula gave the information and the dosage, but it was very, very expensive. The capsules gave the identical ingredients and dosage as the Canadian formula. I believe they’re put out by “N.O.W.,” whatever that means. Yes, the capsules are easy to take. My mom turned her nose up at the tea, but she doesn’t complain about the capsules. My understanding is that the original formula consists of 4 roots. Her capsules contain only the 4 roots in the right proportions. I believe the other 4 were added much later and are of dubious value.If you have trouble finding it, write back and I’ll try to get the address on the bottle. Best of luck to you and to everyone of us in the same boat.
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Thanks for the info. I’ll try our health food stores.
    Ellie

sugarwhale

Dear Elle and Glen,
    I just went to my mom’s house and copied the information from her Essiac Tea capsules. The bottle says: Esiak Caps 450 mg, 4:1 Extracts. It is manufactured by NOW Foods, Bloomingdale, Illinois 60108. Their Web site is http://www.nowfoods.com. ‘Hope this helps. Also, just because this preparation works well for my mom doesn’t mean that this is the right preparation for you. But it’s a start! Best wishes!
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Thanks again Janet, I never realized there are so many co.’s out there selling essiac. Too many choices, but I will try it.
    Ellie

jeanswear

Ok i wish i had heard this sooner. I ordered two jars of brewed tea for my mom, but now upon reading this i actually stepped foot into a health food store (never knew they had those since i am nutrionally impaired) and bought the caplets. Hope they work on my mom.

diner

Janet, I picked up some capsules but the only ones at the health store in capsules were “Essiac Tonic.” It says to take 1 softgel twice a day on an empty stomach. Also it is only 200 mg per capsule. I don’t know if I should go slow and do what it says or if I should take them 4 times a day. I’ll investigate more. How long does your mom wait before eating after taking it.
    Somebody told me that the fresh product would be better but I went for the capsules.
    Dee

sugarwhale

Dear Dee,
    We are just as confused as you are! My mom takes “Esiak Caps 450 mg, 4:1 extracts,” manufactured by NOW Foods, Bloomingdale, Ill. When I first bought this, I compared it to the “Canadian original formula.” It was identical. My mom takes one capsule 30 mins before breakfast, one capsule 30 mins before dinner, and one capsule at bedtime. That’s 3 per day. One probably should have an empty or near-empty stomach. The dosage is plainly listed on the bottle. There are a number of different preparations. I don’t know about the “Essiac Tonic.” However, I would take the dosage as directed and see what happens. Give it 2 weeks to produce…er…the…er…”purifying diarrhea.” If it doesn’t, switch to another formula. I think it probably works better on an empty stomach. It didn’t make my mom sick–nothing like that.
    Best of luck to you and to everyone. Today my mom ate a big lunch, drove to the Senior Center to play “Bingo,” stayed for the Christmas party, ate a ton of cookies, came home, fixed a big dinner, ate enough for an army and said, “Gee, I don’t know what’s wrong with me: I can’t stop eating!” She is doing GREAT, for the first time in 3 years.
    Dee, I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. I find the Health Foods stores and the Internet sites very confusing and even contradictory.
    ~~~ Janet

Ani

I too find the websites and information confusing. Just yesterday I read that the capsules are not effective since the ingredients are freeze dried and thus the potency is destroyed. Yet I am reading information on this Forum which indicates that the capsules are in fact most effective. Its all very alarming and confusing.
    Ani

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert