MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

excessive sleepinesss

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board excessive sleepinesss

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bety

Anyone suffering from the need to sleep 16 hours per day or more? What is the treatment, if any?
    I would appreciate any suggestions.
    bety

CarolineG

Bety.

My Dad would sleep around the clock if we let him. He gets up for short periods, eats, lays down, goes for a little walk, lays down, reads a newspaper, lays down, visits for a short while, goes to bed. We have been told that this is quite normal and that he may have energy spurts once in awhile but consider them few and far between. I haven’t seen an energy spurt for about a year.

Caroline

bety

Dear Caroline,
    Ed seems a little more alert after a tx and when we have visitors. I think his hgb should be kept at a higher level. From now on, I will try to keep him more occupied with household tasks, shopping, etc. Your father seems to be a little more active than Ed. Until about 3 or 4 months ago, Ed was very active, i.e., he walked long distances, despite his age (87). He could out walk many 50 year olds. His fatigue and sleepiness seemed to be connected with a serious nosebleed. A CAT scan did not show any problem.
    Thank you for your input. All the best, bety

Maryvillepat

Bety, did you read the Dr. azra raza thread for the info you requested?
    Pat

bety

Dear Pat,
    I’ve spent over one-half hour trying to find the Dr. azr raza thread that you recommended, but had no success. Could you direct me to it or summarize what she wrote? I would very much appreciate your help.
    All the best, bety

txnmomma

Bety…

My father sleeps round the clock. At times, he awakes for meals. But most of the time, he is sleeping.. morning nap..lunch..afternoon nap..dinner.. evening nap.. bed time. sleeps most of the night.

Pretty much, he sleeps alot! he started to sleep alot as the MDS progressed.

txnmomma
    Quote:
    Originally posted by bety:
    Dear Pat,
    I’ve spent over one-half hour trying to find the Dr. azr raza thread that you recommended, but had no success. Could you direct me to it or summarize what she wrote? I would very much appreciate your help.
    All the best, bety

I believe this is link about Dr. Raza you are referring to..
    https://www.mds-foundation.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004845

bety

Dear Wendy,
    Thank you for the link. It was very informative.
    Your report about your father’s sleepiness made me feel that we are not exceptional or alone.
    Ed continues to be very tired and sleepy, especially after the horrendous ER experience, coupled with the two nights without sleep.
    He has been very discouraged and depressed by the ordeal and I am afraid it has started to affect me in the same way.
    You folks at the forum give me the strength to carry on. At age 81, I do not the stamina I would like to have so that I can be a better helper to my Ed.
    All the best, bety

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert