MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Exercise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jerry

Do any of you know whether the Dr’s feel that exercise is good for an MDS patient. I feel that the axiom of “any exercise is good exercise” is probably true, but I am not sure in this case. I have a treadmill and currently have the energy to walk. What do you think? Thank you. confused

frank
    Participant

i took 1 mile walk every day…
    should be fine if you can do some exercise…

Frank

Suzanne

Yes they told me that exercise, eating sensibly and getting plenty of sleep was important. I walked in the hall in the hospital when I was there. Then three miles outside almost every day and an hour of jazzercise three times a week. I think it has helped. Don’t push yourself too hard. Do what is comfortable.

Neil

Hi Jerry,
    I get all the exercise I can tolerate.
    Follow a low fat low carb diet and take a multi vitamin, Vitamin C and Vatamin B6.
    Frequently discuss my routine with my doc and he endorses ot at this time.
    There are many variations of MDS between patients. Suspect those with a higher risk level might want to use caution with exercise.
    I am pro active with dental care. Get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months and brush 3-4 times a day and floss at least once. Gum problems can develop with MDS patients. I want to stay ahead of the game while I can.
    Would kick it around with your hemo and see what he/ she feels.

lindajo

At convention last year every doctor recommended an exercise plan and a nutritionist. They just didn’t want the liability of recommendations since it wasn’t theire area of expertise.

I use water aquasize since it keeps any of my muscles from taking impact and limited weights on machines at the local YMCA. During cold and flu season I do yoga exercises at home to avoid and limit exposure to sick people.

Jerry

Thank you all … I guess I feel so feisty today because my hemoglobin was up to 12 !!!! That is the highest is has been in a long time. Neil, thanks for the dental advice … I do it all pretty religiously except for the flossing part. Gonna have to work on that. I am still trying to figure out how to find a competant nutritionist. I am a bit afraid of finding someone who has no clue as to what I need. Hope you all have a great week.

Jimbob

I had a little physical therapy just after SCT while in the hospital. I wish I had kept it up. Instead my muscles atrophied, I lost whatever endurance I had and became easily and thoroughly fatigued. Also, I had increased pain in hands and feet. Last year I started with physical therapy and have increased it to monitored 2 times a week and 3 – 4 times at home. I have full use of my hands and my fight only hurt a little. I wole heartedly endorse a regular exercise program as an important part of your health care. Proper nutrition and supplements under the direction of a nutritionist or certified dieticain who has worked successfully with cancer, MDS, and/or leukemia patients should be another part. And developing a support group to help you and your family is another. There is probably more that I should list but family calls. I wish that the care centers would stress these things along with the standard medical practices.
    Jim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert