MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Exjade

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sandi1

Hi,

There has been a lot of discussion about Exjade. I would like to know if anyone has experienced or knows of complications of taking Exjade for seniors over 65. My father experienced heart complications while taking it and Revlimid together. His Doctor thought it was from the Exjade. Revlimid was not working for him anyway so he was taken off of it but he refused to eliminate the Exjade due to the high iron levels. Now his heart is not doing well. He is no longer on the Exjade effective yesterday. Thanks for anything you might contribute.

-Sandi

Alice S
    Participant

Dear Sandi

Sorry to hear about your father, it’s not easy as one has to choose between damage from iron overload or side effects from exjade. The Hematologist keeps a very close watch on Moms liver, kidneys and heart as her ferritin is over 6400.

What is your fathers ferritin level? Perhaps his heart needs a break to recover, I hope he will improve soon, a human body can take just so much battering.

Will keep him in my prayers and hope he will recover soon. Take care of yourself as well.

Alice

Sandi1

Dear Alice,

Hope your mother’s iron levels will diminish. My dad started Exjade in late May with iron of around 6500. He started at 500mg and then gradually was increased to 1500mg. His last iron record was approx 4700. That was several weeks ago. Hopefully he will recover from the heart problem.

Thanks and hope your mom will get stronger.

-Sandi

jaxem

sandi
    what kind of heart problems? did some research and never found anything on exjade causing heart issues but you never know. revlimid has been reported to cause heart issues with some patients. your mom’s doc’s opinion is the one that matters. keep us up-to-date on her condition. i wish her well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert