MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Exjade

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lynne
    Participant

Anyone who is on Exjade talk to me about side effcts and how good/poorly it has effected your ferritine.

Lynne

jimkufis

Hello Lynne. Jim Kufis here. Last October I was on Exjade for two months and very good results. The side effects were a little difficult to deal with as the diarrhea was rather sever but controlled with Imodium a-d. Before I started with Exjade (1500mg/day)my ferritin level was approximately 2800. This level dropped to under 900 after less than two months. I have been off of Exjade for 4 months and the ferritin level is now under 800. I have been tx independent since last October due to Revlimid (5mg/day). According to the literature I have read on Exjade my response was on the exceptional side.

billboy
    Participant

Hi Lynne,

The only adverse side effect for me was diarrhea although my creatinine increased more than the allowable amount prior to adjusting dosage, as indicated in administration guidelines. I’m not currently taking Exjade as my platelet count is too low and moreover there is consideralble debate as to whether or not iron chelation is appropriate for MDS patients – it certainly isn’t for those in higher risk categories of MDS as their life expectancy wouldn’t be sufficient to reap all the bad aspects of iron overload. Developing problems with various organs due to iron overload takes many years.

One thing though, neither of my hematologists took the warnings about adjusting dosage based on liver or kidney functions to heart. I watched my creatinine level with the manufacturers warnings in mind since my doctors didn’t seem to follow the published guidelines.

So in short, Exjade worked well in lowering my ferritin count.

Hope this helps,

Bill F

choijk

my father has been on exjade for the past 2 1/2 years and according to him, he hasnt had any problems at all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert