MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Exjade and liver problems

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Exjade and liver problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    helenr

Hello everyone

We thought things were improving. David began Exjade a month ago. After infusing desferal for over a year he was enjoying being able to sleep without his friendly infusion pump. He had none of the common side-effects and we were really happy but recent blood tests have shown liver inflammation. Our local Dr muttered something about drug induced hepatitis. OurMDS Dr is away this week.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction? The published side-effects list raised liver enzymes. David’s are ten times normal which I think is serious.

A friend sent this message which I thought I might share.

2007 will bring joy and sorrow so SMILE.

Best wishes to everyone.

Helen

covergirl

Hi Helen,
    Sorry to hear about David’s new challenge. If I am not mistaken, liver damage is a side effect of desferal and also of the high ferratin levels.

I hope this can be contained. Hang in there and take one day at a time.
    –cheryl

patti

Helen,

My MIL has very slight elevated liver enzymes but we were told it was due to the iron overload itself. Her ferritin is around 3300 right now. But exjade has caused other issues for folks (including us)with lower white and red counts so I wouldn’t rule out it could be the exjade. It just sounds more like iron overload damage.

Patti

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert