MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Flow Cytometry vs Manual

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Flow Cytometry vs Manual

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

Hello, I was dx 5q- in 2006. I have been very stable, never even needing a blood transfusion. All of that changed in the last several weeks. My monos and basos are rising and all my other counts are dropping. I have had a PRBC transfusion, and I just had my first bone marrow biopsy since I was first diagnosed.I will get the results of the BMB on Thursday.

In the meantime I am trying to understand whether flow cytometry or manual smear is most accurate in determining blasts. I have had 2 manual smears read of my peripheral blood by 2 different pathologists. One said 10% blasts and the other said 6%. However, the flow cytometry (blood taken the same day as the 6% reading) said only 1% blasts. The only result from the BMB is the flow cyrometry. It says bone marrow has 1% of CD34+ blasts, with 81% of granulocytes with decreased side scatter.

I have searched the forums and other posters have asked the FC vs manual smear question, but I see no answers. Anyone have any insight?

Decreased side scatter on CD45 seems associated with blasts, if I have any understanding of what I have read.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Barb

mdsfound

Dear Barb, Flow cytometry sorts individual cells so that specific proteins on the surface of the cells can be identified. Because immature cells such as blasts have specific surface markers, flow can be useful as an approach for identifying the percentage of marrow blasts in the marrow. Because other types of cells in addition to blasts have abnormal expression of protein markers on their surface, flow may sometimes be an additionally useful method to help when findings of dysplasia are subtle or chromosome abnormalities are not present. I hope this helps.

Barb
    Participant

Mdsfound, thank you for responding. Since my post I have learned that some blasts are CD34-. Even though my marrow only has less than 5% CD34+ blasts, my total blast count is 34%, welcoming me to the world of AML. 5q-, trisomy 8, and amplified MLL gene. I am being transferred to The James Cancer Center at Ohio State U. I meet the new hemo tomorrow.

helenolin1
    Participant

Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge. The website is very well designed well! thanks for sharing with us. Wrong fuel recovery london

jennifer clark
    Participant

in recent bone marrow the radiogy report came up with 15 to 19 percent blasts, bordering on AML. Mayo e-consult says 8 percent and said difference could be different technics, counts by morphology and CD34 immunohistochemistry rather than relying on flow cytometry. they suggest a repeat bone marrow. I am clinically stable. difference in number of blasts is so significant for life expectancy. am so confused as to which is more correct. any suggestions?

Barb
    Participant

Jennifer, I wish I had answers for you. Other than the fact that some blasts are CD 34- (and that is the main marker flow cytometry seems to use in PB), I don’t know. I asked the hemo/onco that question Friday. He said he was going to figure out the answer. I’ve now had 3 peripheral smears with 10, 6, and 4% blasts, all different pathologists. The flow cytometry said 1%.

Nonetheless, BMB said 34% blasts, even tho less than 5% were CD34+. I start 7+3 induction Thursday. Oh, I get another BMB Tuesday. They are not waiting on those results to start chemo.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert