MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Fundraising

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Fundraising

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wendeo

Hi Everyone…
    I am new to the forum and joined due to my fathers diagnosis of MDS. I have been active in helping him and have done everything that I can…donating platelets every week, registering for the transplant list and cooking him all his favorite treats while he is in the hospital 🙂 , 43 days now… My newest endeavor is to try and raise money through running a race. I ran the San Diego Marathon 5 weeks ago and there were tons of people there representing the Leukemia and Lymphoma society but I have been unable to find a group that does fundraising for MDS. My 12 year old would like to do a 5k with me, she is sad that there isn’t much a kid can do to help. Any leads out there?

jaxem

wendeo
    Good for you for registering for the transplant list. You do know that you will only be a 1/2 match (haplo) such that your stem cells cannot be used for a typical transplant for your father. However, others may be a match & possibly you may be able to donate your stem cells to them. There is some work & success in haplo research going on now but again, this type of transplant is not typical. You didn’t state what type MDS he has but some forms of MDS grow into leukemia; MDS is definitely linked to leukemia. I can’t say enough about people giving their time for this noble cause. You can contact both the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as well as the MDS Foundation to get their ideas on fundraising work you & your son can do. And thank you. I wish your father all the luck in the world in battling this ugly disease.

Laural

As a 12 year old, your son could get his school involved in Pennies for Patients through your area Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You may also want to look for a nearby Light the Night walk. You can find info on both at lls.org or just call your area society. The website also has info on MDS, as it is connected to leukemia and can go on to become AML. I captain a Light the Night team in Dayton, Ohio. My 2 daughters have been active fundraisers in this for 10 years now. You can see our team video at http://animoto.com/play/j8nOKDx7YfTWfnvoRo8ENA and our team web page at http://pages.lightthenight.org/soh/Dayton09/AlwaysFriends
    It is good that your son wants to help.

Esther

Hi wendeo,

We live far away in New Zealand but I am sure we would help out with fundraising if there was such a movement in this country. We are a tiny population and finding it very hard to even find anyone here who is suffering from MDS. By the way it is my daughter Cathie who has recently been diagnosed, she has posted elsewhere.

I really would like to acknowledge that your 12 year old is a daughter which I thought was pretty obvious in your initial post. Perhaps some are speed reading – and offence not intended to anyone!

Regards,
    Renée

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert