MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Gleevec – an update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Gleevec – an update

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shirlsgirl

Hi all,

Well, my mom has been on Gleevec for just over a week and her Hemo. doctors are thrilled!! Her CBC is normal! smile Since starting the Gleevec her platelets went up from 119 to 159 and her WBC’s have come down into the normal range.

She is completely off of Prednisone now, and is still taking Cyclosporin. Her doc’s are closely monitoring her while on the 2 drugs because Cyclosporin apparently interacts with Gleevec….and eventually (in June I think) she will cut back on the Cyclosporin until she is only taking the Gleevec.

Mom is really tired these days…probably a combination of stress and getting used to the new drug. But, so far so good. Yay!

Jody

Jack_dup1

Jody,
    That is great news, the odds were not great in regards to CMML and Gleevac. I like to think the odds are always 50/50, either it works or it doesn’t. I’m thrilled for you both.
    Jack

geebeebee

That’s great to hear, Jody. I hope your Mom sees continued improvement!

Greg

Suzanne

Fantastic Jody. We all look for news that gives hope even tho we can count on each other for support for the other kind.

mommachkate

Hi Jody, I am so very happy to hear the good news about your Mom improvments.What is she taking the Cyclosporin for ?I hope we will hear more of this kind of good news.Best wishes Kate

Kathryn

Jody, that is wonderful! Keep the good news coming! Gives us all hope!

Kathryn

Ensnee

Jody, I’m so happy for you and your mom! She is SO lucky she has that one gene transmutation in CMML that allows her to use Gleevec. Tell her I’m sending healing thoughts her way for continued improvement.

hugs,
    Esme

shirlsgirl

Thank you everyone for your kind words, your support means so much.

Hi Kate, The cyclosporin is an immune suppressive drug used to treat my mom’s ITP. Her immune system is overactive and is destroying her platelets, so the cyclosporin suppresses her immune system so her platelets aren’t destroyed. Since being treated with Cyclosporin her platelets went from 11 to over 500 (while on 20 mg’s of Prednisone) and now at 159 without the Prednisone. It worked well for her, she just has to watch her Blood pressure as high blood pressure is a common side effect from Cyclosporin.
    Hope George is feeling well, I think of you often.

Thank you again everyone. smile Jody

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert