MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Gleevec for CMML or MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Gleevec for CMML or MDS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

I have noticed where Gleevec is being mentioned as showing positive results in the treatment of CMML. I have tried to google it and can only come up with the clinical trial information. My Dad and I are interested in any information anyone has regarding this.

Thanks,
    Shari

Jack_dup1

Shari,
    I tried Gleevac for about 4 weeks and then they discontinued it because of lack of result. I was told it worked on about 5% of CMML and only if they have a specific chromosone, I don’t remember which one, I believe it was Philadelphia Chromosone. Are you getting treatment in Omaha?
    Jack

sdrake

Jack,

Dad is still being treated at an outpatient clinic at our local hospital. His oncologist’s office is in Lincoln.

I think the Philadelphia Chromosome makes it CML rather than CMML. I know Dad doesn’t have the Philadelphia Chromosome. There was post on here the other day regarding Gleevec for CMML with the -5q (which Dad does have). Dad also checks in on a discussion group through The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Someone on there said they were trying Gleevec with CMML. We were hoping to find more information about it.

Are you still having good results with the Zarnestra? Dad is having a BMB this Friday to see if there has been any change in his condition. He is a bit concerned that the Vidaza isn’t working as well as it did, although his blood work has remained very stable. His spleen is larger again and I know this worries him.

Thanks for your reply.

Take care,
    Shari

Jack_dup1

Shari,
    You right, it was -5q, I did not have that and so it was not suitable for me. I have had very good luck with Zarnestra. They took me of it for 3 weeeks and my whites climbed from 16 to 34, after 4 days on it they were down to 24. I also have an enlarged spleen, it does not cause me much trouble. The main thing I credit Zarnestra for is decreased blasts in the marrow, 4.8% to 0.4%
    Jack

hmblume

I believe that Gleevec is a MED for CML, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, which is a disease of the white cells. Gleevec is very effective, with a reasonably long term cure.

CMML is a disease of platelets, although some percent of the whites (usually in a normal range) are monocytic (and, thus, I believe, ineffective in fighting disease). I have been advised if my white count reduced by the percent of monocytes is above 1000, then I am OK.

I recollect previous posts, where it seemed that a CML-CMML confusion led to a belief in Gleevec for CMML. I doubt it, but would be interested if Gleevec is confirmed for CMML/ITP/thrombocytopenia.

Best wishes Henry B.

Jack_dup1

We CMML patients are all a little different, mine affects the white cells( as high as 45.8), my platelets are low (52)but stable, it is both MPD, and MDS, thus the probem of treating it. Gleevac has helped 5% of CMML patients according to the NIH.
    Jack

Jimbob

This shows how much things change with these doseases. There appear to have been a number of successful trials with Gleevec being used on some forms of CMML. If there is a trial that is accepting patients, it might be worthwhile to get involved as the side-effects of the drug are less than the likely after-effects of a SCT.
    I was treated at Oregon Health Science University Hospital, the Center of Excellence where Dr. Brian Drucker ran the first trial on Gleevec to show that it was an effective medication against CML. When I was first DX’d 4 1/2 years ago, they would not even consider using Gleevec and said that only a SCT would be effective against CMML. And Dr. Drucker did pop in on me a few times in the months before I had my transplant.
    Again, things change. I would definitely suggest you check it out.
    Jim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert