MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Happy Chanukah

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Happy Chanukah

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sandy L

Hello all .
    Happy Chanukah and before you know it it will be Xmas. Happy Christmas to all. It is such a lovely time of year. People are happier and nicer to one another.

Mike is still doing okay. His counts are very low. Plalets 8, WBC .6, RBC or HMG(not sure which) 7.5 not that bad)

The doctor told him that if the induction chemotherapy did not work they would not be able to give him another round. Does anyone have any opinions on that ?

If someone does not go for transplant how do they remain in remission on Pallative Care? Do they get Ara-c and for what length of time?

Thanks again for all the good wishes.

KWJ

Lets just pray it works. I am sorry I have more questions thans answers. Please keep us updated. You guys are in my thoughts.

patti

Sandy,

Generally, if someone goes into remission and you opt for no transplant then they do 3 rounds of consolidation chemo in an attempt to keep someone in remission. But this is not pallative care.

Pallative care is the same thing as end of life care. They essentially provide for pain management and anything needed to keep a person comfortable until they pass away. Most people do not get treatment during this time although they may be able to. With hospice care they cannot get treatment. That may be a difference between “pallative care” and “hospice care.” I am not sure on that.

I think you need to ask Mike’s doctors directly what they mean by pallative care. Are they saying there is nothing else they’ll be able to do for him if he doesn’t go into remission? Why are they saying he can’t have another round if he doesn’t go into remission? It takes some folks several rounds to achieve remission. Do they have a specific reason for saying this? Does it have something to do with Mike’s response to this round? Etc. etc. If you can make a list of questions to ask them it will help. It’s so easy to forget when we’re right in the midst of the battle.

In the meantime, we will pray for remission and that Mike stays strong through this time.

Patti

Terri

Sandy Thank you for updating and I hope all continues well for Mike and he goes into remission. I do not believe Suzanne had a transplant, she did the chemo and she seems to be doing great. I am sure you will see her pipe in here with some of her experiences. SHE is our Poster model.
    you are both in my heart.
    God Bless

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert