MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

has anyone ever heard of immune system attacking transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board has anyone ever heard of immune system attacking transfusions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kathy7964

My Dad has been in the hospital since Aug. 15, finished his first round of Dacogen and got sweets syndrome. They are trying everything to boost wbc’s. Did a BMB 9/14 and the doctor told us there is nothing in his bone marrow..no blasts but nothing else either. Yesterday they gave him Cyclosporine they use for people who undergo a transplant to lower his immune system so it will not attack the blood he is receiving. They are having platelets sent in from other states. Plt’s where a 3 and up to 20 today after special plt’s but wbc keep dropping. On neupogen for over 2 weeks now.

Now they think he has another type of infection possibly in his blood. I can’t bear to see him suffering like this and I am starting to give up hope.

If anyone has experienced this where the body is attacking his blood could you please share any info you have? Or if it took this long to get his counts up?

Thanks,
    Kathy

Neil

Hi Kathy,
    From your description it appears he has hypocellular marrow.
    Did the docs discuss the possibility of using ATG or perhaps ALG? ALG is less toxic. Both are used on Aplastic Anemia pts who have hypocellular marrow. His age and the infection certainly complicate matters, but ALG might help. A very tough decision and one that would need the input of docs familiar with ATG/ALG.

Russ

Kathy, Don’t have any answers but want to offer my prayers and best wishes for you and your Dad.

KWJ

Hang in there Kathy…Have the finally gotten the sweets under control? And I know you were considering a 2nd opinion at the Mayo clinic, can that still be done or is it too far for him to travel. It had sounded before like you were having some doubts about his docs, I would get another opinion. Maybe someone here knows a good MDS doc from Las Vegas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert