MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How does one become part of a clinical trial?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How does one become part of a clinical trial?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Britt

I was curious as to whether or not these clinical trial I hear about take patients who don’t seem to be responding to treatment. Does anyone know how they pick people to be in a clinical trial? Has anyone ever participated in a clinical trial of any kind?
    Britt

patti

Britt,

You can do a search for clinical trials on the web and they will usually list the criteria that are required for someone to qualify. Mom actually qualified for one but we changed our minds. Has Patrick considered natural therapies for his RARS? I would highly recommend meeting with Dr. Kou here in Portland if he’s at all open to it. John in GR just got back and found this very hopeful and helpful. I’m anxiously awaiting his note to the forum about his trip. Dr. Kou has stablized my MIL and her bone marrow is healing. John has abnormal cytogenetics too so I know Dr. Kou is able to treat that also. We’ve been under Dr. Kou for just 3 months and are already seeing mom turn around. Her platelets are still a concern but he has to wait to treat those just yet. If he will, have Patrick take 9mg. of Vit. K twice daily from life extension foundation. It should prevent him from having any signs of bleeding. Mom’s plts are 8 and she rarely has any signs of petichaie, etc. so she’s never had to have a transfusion of platelets. I believe the Vit. K would be much safer than the prednisone.

All the best,

patti

Suzanne

Britt, Many of us have participted in trials and many of us have been helped by the drugs. Each trial usually has criteria for the type of disease they are concentrating on or have found the best results with IE revlimid and those patients with a 5q- chromosome change. If you think you fit the criteria you contact the person or insititution running the trial. You can investigate whether you will be accepted and whether you want to participate. If you are being treated at a Center of Excellence they usually are working on trials there -that makes it easier then long distance participation. You also want to investigate the difference in phase 1,11 and 111 trials. I am not sure whether it was the home page of this site or the NIH site that had a good explanation. If you go to the home page here many trials are listed there. The main site for listings for trials for all kinds of cancer is http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. It can be narrowed down by type of disease.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert