MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How many of you are transfusion dependent?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How many of you are transfusion dependent?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mary4Mike
    Participant

Laleigh,
    I can relate to what you are hearing from your husband about being a burden. I am sure that many of the spouses, mates and caregivers are hearing much of the same thing. I am also amazed at what these patients go through to fight this disease. I am sure that I would never have survived everything my husband has been through and he doesn’t complain.

I am interested in the low dose Dacogen treatments your husband will be taking. What do you mean by “low” ? When will he begin and is it part of a study? Cleveland Clinic is doing studies on Dacogen dosing. My husband is currently receiving 30mg each day for five days and then is off for 5 weeks.

If you have any info on this, I am very interested.

Thank you,
    Mary

Carruth

My mil is still getting red blood about every two to three weeks. A little over two weeks ago she got three units and then more today. She’s just about to have her sixth round of vidaza, and we had hoped by this time the transfusions would be unnecessary or at least farther apart. It hasn’t happened. Her white count hovers around .8, and the platelets go from 4 to 28, depending on the nadir and recovery. Has anyone had a good response after the sixth round? I know for most it’s after the fourth or fifth.

jaxem

carruth
    while she’s on vidaza, don’t expect the counts to go up. usually after the 6th round, your doc will stop the vidaza and await the counts to return (about a month), then do a bmb to check the blasts level.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert