MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

how much vidaza?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board how much vidaza?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sandy L

I was wondering how much Vidaza everyone is getting. When I went on the site (Celgene) it said 75 and if it does not work then up it to 100. Mike is currently on 165. The only reason I know is because we went to the hopsital for the Sunday shot and the orders had the amount to be given and also we had two vials. Does this go by weight of the person? Thank you for any help you have on this. confused

Harold

Sandy, chemotherapy is usually dosed by square meter of body surface area (BSA). The startig dose for Vidaza is 75 mg per square meter (m2). You can take your height and weight and convert it to square meters. If you do not respond to the 75 mg dose after several cycles of Vidaza, the dose can be increased to 100 mg per square meter. A dose of 165 mg would be for a 2.2 square meter person. The average BSA for a man is 1.9 square meters.

Re. Vidaza
    Don’t know if it is any help, but I got Azacytidine/Vidaza in 2002. I stopped after one week’s injections because I felt it was knocking out my platelets and white cells too hard. In fact I had a bit of a death’s door experience – but then I got better again! I think I would have done better on a smaller dose (I was getting the same amount as a very large Irishman!) I only got to try Azacyditine because a consultant at King’s College Hospital, London, managed to persuade Cell Therapeutics to supply it on a named patient compassionate use basis. Although in the short term it made me worse not better, the one thing it did do was stop the bone pains for a while. That could be a one-off effect on me though. Hope you manage to find all the info you need, good luck.

Sandy L

Thank you Harold and Sophie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert