MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How to increase RBC and WBC?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How to increase RBC and WBC?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

In the months after my STC my counts were above 3 and, I thought, climbing but over the past three months they have “settled” about 2.7. My doctor says that they may be my new norm even though it is below the normal range for most people. He said that I should not worry but I do. Any suggestions, other than neupragen, for increasing RBC and WBC counts?

andrzej g.

Dear Jimbob,
    Unless it is necessary you do not have to stimulate your white blood cells. Your doctor is utterly right about it.
    Regarding RBC – again it depends on your counts. If they are unsatisfactory some measure EPO level in blood. In case it is <200 U/l they introduce erythropoietin to check if it helps in raising RBC count and Hb level.
    Courage…

Jim

Procrit works for some to increase RBC. It did not do anything for me however. It also sometimes boosts WBC too but I don’t have any idea why.

I don’t think I’d be happy either with your Drs. now norm theory.

Bill

andrzej g.

Jim,
    Procrit is just a name for erythropoietin.
    What I am telling is not that you should be happy with your results – I’m far from that – I’m only trying to say you are probably not requiring any supportive therapy approaches for the time being.
    Nor Neupogen neither Procrit does not alter the cause of the bone marrow malfunctioning and that’s why they should not be used unless really necessary.
    Courage,
    Andrzej

Terri

Hi Jimbob, Do you take any vitamins to help the RBC like B12 etc. How about Diet,
    Bob’s wbc are usually high so we never look for anything to boost them Right now they are Mid norm so we are happy.
    His reds are norm too, He does get procrit, but takes B12, a B complex, and several Supplements for the Immune system, AHCC, a Wellness essential package that has AM and PM doses to help support the Immune system. These are all natural supplements.

Doctor told us the same thing about Bob’s HGB that his normal may be in the 10’s and low 11’s he may never get to 12 or over to be in the norm range.

KP2112

My Dada’s Dr. mentioned that if there are blasts in transformation it may not be wise to prescribe epogen because as it helps with the production of RBC, it may also help the bad cells to replicate.

Kind Regards,
    Karen P.

Suzanne

I did not have a transplant but I was told too that after I had two rounds of chemo and my bone marrow had been destroyed twice that My counts might not go back to completely normal range-that some things might be a little out of the normal range forever and that I should not worry about that. So far they seem to be slowly moving closer to normal with each CBC and as more time passes with out taking any chenicals. Be patient-especially if none of the counts are in the danger range and the trend is either holding or improving.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert