MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

I have what?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board I have what?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jnos

In April, after having a routine blood test at my annual ob/gyn appointment, discovered I was anemic..not iron, not B12, on to onccologist, more blood and then BMB, I was given a slip of paper with "myelodysplastic syndrome" written on it. Assured I did not have cancer, was sent home to watch and wait. Then on to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago for a second opinion. Yes, I do have MDS, RARS, with 2% blasts. She said "I want you to leave here feeling good". Sure…..after telling me I have a chance to live another 10 years. My HGB goes down each month..10.4 in July, with RBC being below normal for the first time at 3.30. I am devastated. I’m only 60..my mother is 87 and I am her caregiver. I work full time. I have grandchildren I want to see grow up. I just can’t believe it. Where else should I go? Mayo, M.D. Anderson? Sorry to ramble on. I just can’t get my head around this.

katydid

hey jnos – join us on the do I don’t I thread – read bck over the posts and then join in – your thoughts would be valued and welcome

Cathie

jaxem

jnos
    sorry for the diagnosis. many people with RARS have lived long & fruitful lives. it would be nice to know what’s causing your HG to be so low. there are a few injection meds which people have learned to take that have been beneficial to them. Good choice going for a 2nd opinion. If you’re looking for a 3rd opinion, I recommend the Univ. Minn in Minneapolis which is at the cutting edge of technology for MDS. You should go to a place that does a lot of transplants and are fully setup to treat the disease like Minnesota. I’m not a believer in watch-and-wait treatment for MDS unless all clinics have the same opinion. good luck to you!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert