MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

is Gleevec/Glivec a cure for some of us ???

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board is Gleevec/Glivec a cure for some of us ???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lbeachbum2

Please read …. Gleevec aproval

if anyone has information from there doctors please post

shirlsgirl

Hi beachbum,

My mom has success with Gleevec. I think however she’s the only one on this forum that is taking it. Mom had many chromosome abnormalities prior to Gleevec and many of them are gone now. Mom’s QOL is pretty good now. Her platelets are at a reasonable level (around 150), her wbc’s are in a normal range, her rbc’s are a little low and hgb is low normal. Before Gleevec her wbc’s were climbing and her platelets were as low as 11. At mom’s next Hemo. appointment I can ask Dr. Leber what the new criteria is for prescribing Gleevec. Please don’t hesitate to e-mail me if you have any questions..

Take care,

jody

Neil

Hi Jody,
    That is really great news! Wish it could help more MDS patients.
    Gleevec helps those with the Philadelphia Chromosome and some leukemia patients.
    Believe it focuses on certain proteins–tyrosine kinases.
    Those patients with this type of condition respond well to it.

Jack_dup1

I was on a Gleevac study for 6 weeks with no results, neg or pos. When it works, it works quickly.

Jody,
    Glad it is still working out for your Mom, if only my chromosomes were from Philadelphia instead of Iowa.
    Jack

shirlsgirl

Thanks Neil!

Too funny Jack! Hey, thankfully your Iowa chromosomes are responding so well to Zarnestra. I’m looking forward to reading your next update.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert