MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

itching and MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board itching and MDS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lois Dow
    Participant

My husband (age 78) with MDS has a problem with severe skin itching, all over his body but a lot on the legs and back, especially in winter and at night, that does not respond to creams or antihistamines. It keeps him awake. Sometimes it produces a rash on the legs. Our GP does not know what causes it and has been unable to prescribe anything that works. We have tried increasing the humidity in our home, but it does not seem to help.

Could this be MDS related? Does anyone have suggestions for reducing the itching so he can sleep?
    Lois

tam
    Participant

Lois,
    I have naturally dry skin and experience itching during dry winter months on legs and occasionally on back. I have found that Cetaphyl Cream (in a large tub) works best. I apply it to my shins after showering and that takes care of it. If I don’t apply it the itching during dry months is unbearable. I never associated it with MDS, however. I thought the dryness worsened with age. Good luck.
    tam

tam
    Participant

Lois,
    Forgot to mention that I’ve also switched to Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar soap for showers. I used Dove for years but found that Cetaphil is more gentle and results in less dryness and itching. (Full disclosure: I am no way associated with the makers of Cetaphil.)
    tam

Lois Dow
    Participant

Thanks Tam, We try all likely suggestions and we will try this.
    Lois

diana
    Participant

Please try to avoid long hot shower or bath. Some claim cold shower will help dry skin. I compromise and use lukewarm water.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert