MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

I've been promoted.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board I've been promoted.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jga_socal

Yes, congrats are in order.
    I wuz dx with the entry-level RCMD mds rating in Jan 06. The percent of looney toon blasts in my marrow was 4%.
    A bone marrow biopsy this month shows that 6% of the little immature suckers are now aimlessly running around doing nothing but knocking into stray leukocytes. It seems that 5% is a demarcation for foolish blasts activity. Thus, from here on out, however long that is, I shall be known as:

Mr. RCMD “With Excess Blasts” Anderson.

I’ll just go with my new nickname acronym of “Web” Anderson.

On the serious side. My rbcs production remains steady running a 40% deficit, except for a couple odd months when I was able to forego a transfusion. My whites and platelets are still normal and I feel about the same. With the bump in blasts, my dr. now says the writing is on the wall so need to make decisions regarding a sct.
    Tomorrow I’ll get a Ferritin count so I’ll be able to give y’all feedback on whether Exjade is working for me. On a side note, the literature says that a small group of people who successfully get treated for iron chelation actually become transfusion independent, (not to be confused with ‘cured of mds’). I got this tidbit from the NCCN practice guidelines for myelodysplastic Syndromes. You never know. One wants to hope one falls into some small group of people who beat the odds against something bad.

Regards!
    Web Anderson

choijk

Jim,

I am so glad to hear that you still have your sense of humor. =) You are continually in both my thoughts and prayers at all times. We at the forum will be supportive of SCT decision. Please keep us updated.

celebrations
    Participant

Yes, this is the right agressiveness, energy and sense of humor that you will need to meet the challenge. Take the best out of it and do not waste any energy!
    God bless you,
    celebrations

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert