MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

John, QQ, anyone else interested

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board John, QQ, anyone else interested

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    patti

Hi guys,

I wanted to share some additional info that I found helpful from the Chinese Medicine Man. Mom saw him last night after her transfusion.

One thing I was very interested in was how this course of treatment would go. He said *if* mom responds to the herbs, she should be stabalized in six months. That means her HGB will not go below 8 at the minimum. From there he will continue to increase the intensity of her herbs until she climbs into the normal range for her HGB. After she’s in normal range he will add more intense herbs for her white cells. He said it will take about 2-4 months for whites to go normal. Once they are normal and her platelets are at 60K (which he said will climb slowly this whole time) he will add intense herbs for her platelets. He said it will take an additional 2-4 months for platelets to be normal. He said bone marrow function should be restored anywhere from 1-2 yrs. of total treatment.

I found it helpful to have that time frame because if it were me I would have waited two or three months and figured it wasn’t working and bagged the whole thing. He said that over this first six months she will still need transfusions but they should start getting further and further apart. Hey, I was happy we got three weeks out of the last!

One thing that was very noticeable to us yesterday was although mom needed blood her hemogl. was not near as low as it should have been for how low her hematocrit was. Her hemato. was 24 but her hemog. was 7.8. Normally when her hemato is that low her hgb is in the 6’s. So to me, that is a small improvement. Mr. Medicine Man was thrilled to see it wasn’t as low as normal because he was looking at previous numbers and could see that she should have had a much lower hbg for that hemato.

Yesterday he added Sea Cucumber to mom’s diet. Oh, man, don’t ask me! Believe it or not my daughter had a picture of it in her science book! So off to the chinese store to buy it. QQ I bet you’re very familiar with that. It is a uniquely Chinese thing to eat. smile He says it tastes like chicken, does it? Actually, he says it melts in soup but gives it a “chickeny” sort of flavor.

I have to throw this in for good measure because we are not out of the woods by any means. I believe that if we had found a naturapath in the very beginning when we wanted to go natural and not flown by the seat of our pants (our doctor wouldn’t give us any direction that way) that mom may have truly had a chance at this stuff working 100%. However, in light of the fact that it was 14 months before we went to a naturapath and 18mos before we saw this guy, I am not sure mom’s body will survive. She is having other health problems that may end up being her end and not the MDS. But only God knows and I will take everyday God gives us and be so thankful. She feels well, not sick and that means so much.

I guess I said that, QQ, to say I hope you’re sister doesn’t wait too long to involve a naturapath. Even if she’s going to do conventional medicine. Too much damage gets done before the body gets strengthened and it can be too late.

I am still very very hopeful but I am also trying to be a realist.

John, one thing I found out is if you go to a chinese medicine man (or woman), make sure they are chinese!! A western person will not do. I know that sounds funny but like this doc explained, these people live their whole lives under chinese medicine and really understand it in a way no one else can.

Hope this info helps.

patti

Terri

Hi Patty Been doing searches here in Florida but Only ones I find for chinese Meds are Westerners and the only one Locally so far was a women Any Idea how to get a listing or how to locate one.

QQ

Hi Patti,

Congratulations on the good news. I actually don’t know too much about Chinese medicine, but my mom believes that it is very helpful. I will let them know your MIL’s experience. Thanks a lot.

patti

Terri,

Try this:

http://www.ncnm.edu/alumniandfriends/find_a_practitioner_results.php.

The only ones I saw appear to be westerners also except for maybe one. I can’t tell. If that doesn’t work you might try using the contact information for our Oregon Clinic (same website as above) and call them to see if Dr. Kou can recommend anyone in or near Florida.

I should have said it doesn’t matter if the person is male or female so much as I was told make sure their Chinese. And honestly, maybe that doesn’t make a difference. That’s just what I was told. I will ask mom’s naturapath on tuesday and see what she says and let you know if she thinks it matters or not.

At the very least it’s an avenue worth exploring. As someone said, we have got nothing to lose, and we only have something to gain.

All the best to you and Bob,

patti

lucym

Hi Patti,
    Your news is very promising. My Mom has agreed to see a naturpath. I am hoping the naturpath can help get her and keep her strong for her SCT. My Mom’s Hemo/Onc is Chinese he is actually going to China on vacation for 2 weeks however when asked about consulting a naturpath he flat out said NO. I am not so sure being Chinese is all that necessary. Wishing you all well.
    Lucy

patti

Lucy,

I imagine chinese doctors are much like American doctors when it comes to the natural. Mom’s doctors flat out refuse to believe anything we have done for the last 20 months has helped not only prolong her life but actually make her feel good most of the time. Anything your mom can do to strengthen her body will go a long way towards helping her during her SCT. Also, make sure the naturapath you take her to specializes in cancer treatments. A family practice naturapath won’t be helpful at all (we accidentally went to one of those first).

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

patti

LuAnn

Patty,

That’s such promising news. My dad agreed to go to a chinese medicine man and we went last Sunday. He is very conventional but agreed to try the herbs. He drank the tea for a few days but came down with bronchitis so he stopped all. But I’m hoping he’ll go back when I tell him your news. Thanks for sharing with us.

John in GR

Thanks Patti,

Most interesting.

John

BETTE BOOP

HI EVERYONE, I HAVE BEEN SO INTERESTED IN READING ALL THE MESSAGES ON MDS THIS MORNING.I HAVE HAD MDSFOR 4 YEARS. WAS ON PROCRIT FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS.WENT ON A TRIAL DRUG AT MOFFETT CANCER CENTER ANDIT WAS NO HELP. NEXT WEEK I GO FOR A BONE MARROW AND WILL BE STARTING REVLIMID AFTER ABOUT 2 WEEKS. I HAVE BEEN GETTING TX ABOUT EVERY 6 WEEKS. I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL YOUR PRAYERS THAT IT WILL HELP. YOU ALL SOUND SO CARING. BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL. BETTE

gemloyear

Hi Bette Boop, I just love that name!! Good luck with the revlimid. I pray that it does help, we need for some good news in that regard.
    Ellie

Engel

Hi Bete Boop,
    Hope he revlimid helps. my husband was dx in Jan. 06 and I am looking for all the information I can get. We live in Ft. Myers, and I am looking for a naturapath and have not had any luck. I was told to contact a Dr. List at Moffett,but sofar this has all been over whelming need help and advice.
    Gloria
    Husband diag.01/06 RARS, on procrit once a week transfusions every 5 weeks. 3 sofar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert