MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

juicing e-coli

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board juicing e-coli

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bety

What are the best ways to wash fruits and vegetables before juicing? We are worried about e-coli and other infections. bety

Hi Bety:

At the time I was juicing, there wasn’t the e-coli outbreaks, only the usual warnings for bacteria and bugs because of my low white count.

The way I did it was cut off all the parts that I wasn’t going to juice, rinse the veggies off to get all the big stuff off, then I swished it around in a bowl of water with a little hydrogen peroxide mixed in. For an easier way out, I believe there is also a product for washing veggies sold at the markets. Someone recommended it to me once, but I never bothered to use it. Fortunately for me, I never had any trouble with infections while I was juicing. And I juiced literally tons of veggies for a good two years. As my white count improved, I discontinued the use of the hydrogen peroxide. I only used organic produce, so don’t know how much that played in the cleanliness of the veggies, too.

If you’re white count is very low, you could even peel your fruits a bit, but know that there are some nutrients you’ll lose by doing that. But at least that will help to remove stuff from the surface if you’re really compromised. If you have a very low white count, I would go easy on the fruit because of all the sugar. I would stick to more greens.

Hope others will chime in with their juicing procedures.

Take care, and be well!

Marla

bety

Dear Marla,

Thank you for your input. I think I will try the hydrogen peroxide treatment until my husbands wbc count improves. Unfortunately, organic produce is not always easily available. We both enjoy the carrot-celery combination most evenings. An added benefit, the celery seems to reduce the need for our hypertensive medications.

Thanks again, bety and Ed

Jimbob

bety,
    check the internet (google or whatever you use) for organic produce in nyc. You may be surprised at how many locations you find. Out here there are several that even do home delivery at reasonable prices plus we can buy frm Safeway, Whole Food, and New Seasons grocery stores
    Jim

bety

Jim,
    Thank you for the info. I will check Safeway and other supermarkets. I think there is one nearby.
    bety

Caroline

Bety,

In the grocery stores where I shop, there is always a display of natural sprays that you can wash your produce with. I cannot remember any of the names but if you ask your grocer, he will be able to help.

You might also ask the people at your local health food store for a produce wash. You are better to be safe than sorry.

Caroline

bety

Caroline,

That is a good idea to inquire about natural sprays. I certainly will be interested in the instructions and the contents.

Thanks, bety

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert