MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Latest Biopsy Results

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Latest Biopsy Results

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PupsRule

After only 3 rounds of Vidaza, my blasts count went from 22% to 14%. Good news! Still diagnosed with AML subclass M6, so the docs are recommending induction chemo to get me in remission while we wait for a donor. Guess I’ll be spending the holidays in the hospital. (I got to order some new hats today and a friend is lending me her Santa/reindeer-with-antlers cap in keeping with the season!)

Another piece of good news: I applied for Social Security disability back in September. Knowing how sluggish federal bureaucracy can be, I wasn’t holding my breath for fast results. Lo and behold, I got news this week that I’ve been approved. The case manager up in Fresno contacted me seeking help in getting medical records — my doctor’s office faxed them to me, I faxed them to her, and 2 days later I got the call. Yeee haaaa!

LynnI
    Participant

That is wonderful news!! I am sorry that you have to spend the holidays in the hospital.

Please keep us updated, pulling for you!

Lynn

jaxem

Hi, Judith
    I’m a little confused why they want to start induction chemo AFTER starting you on vidaza. why not keep you on vidaza for another 3 rounds, then do a bmb to see if blasts are continuing to come down. OR why didn’t they 1st start you on induction chemo???? But they’re the docs, I’m not! great about disability.

PupsRule

The original diagnosis of MDS apparently qualified me for the more conservative lower-intensity chemo that Vidaza offers. When I was re-assessed by Stanford as being AML the Vidaza plan was abandoned in favor of getting me into remission much sooner in preparation for transplant. My visit with the transplant team today was revealing. Even though I’m classified as M6, there are enough weird things going on in my blood even THAT classification isn’t 100%. Like I’m growing ‘giant’ platelets, have no plasma, and on it goes. Like I said in an earlier post, feels like I’m an alien.

I was advised that the two 9/10 donors haven’t been contacted because a transplant date hasn’t been set. But they’re lined up, and Stanford’s continuing to search national and international databases for better matches. The plan now is to do a mini-transplant because the pre-conditioning will be a lot less toxic and should work as long as the induction chemo takes me into remission. I’m checking into Stanford next Monday. They wanted to admit me this Thursday, but my 23d wedding anniversary’s coming up on Saturday and no way am I going to celebrate in a hospital room!

Paul 36

Judeth E,

You are so in my paryers. Please keep me posted on your BMT. I am sure you will knock it out of the park

Warmest regards, and GOD BLESS!!

PupsRule

Lynn, Jack, Paul, and all the rest of you wonderful folks on this forum: Thank you for your incredible support! I pray that we all have a bountiful and Merry Christmas!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert