MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

LONG night last night…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board LONG night last night…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    karenkay

Well, I drove 60 miles to pick up and take my dad to his psychotherapy appointment. when I got there, he was pale, exhausted, and confused. They had run a CBC and it said his HGB was 9.9. He hasn’t had a tx in over two weeks, so I said, that was baloney (he is usually only a 10 right after a tx)!! he must have been dehydrated!! I called the cancer doctor office and spoke with the nurse and long story short, they ordered a bag of iv fluid and 1 unit of packed red blood cells. I was so proud of them, because they actually listened to what I had to say!! They will recheck his blood on Monday.
    My dad has not been eating again (I am taking him to a geriatric dentist on Monday to check his dentures), hardly drinking, his dementia is getting worse (on Monday last week he scored 17/30 on a memory test). He is probably on his last week at the rehab facility. I just don’t think it is helping as much as it could.
    There are so many things my dad is not doing well with and his lack of motivation, for whatever reason, is certainly no help!!
    So, yesterday I was gone from about noon to 4:00 am because his tx took a long time and it was snowing and storming out on the 60 mile drive home! I am wearing out again!!
    I did get some good sleep though, my husband and kids are pretty great about letting me sleep in!
    thanks for listening!!
    Karenk

Oh Karen (((hugs))) I do so understand!

I’m glad your husband and kids did the thing you needed most. One of the things that keeps running through my head these days is “I’m alive!” I am trying like crazy to connect up with other alive people and get my motors gassed up with whatever essence it is that brings zest to our lives. Caregiving really sucks that zest up fast.

I hope you hug your husband and children a LOT, and let them help you. That isn’t my advice – it’s my 23 year old son’s; he gave it to me today and it seems good enough to pass on. smile
    Margaret

Sandy L

Karen

Oh my what a terrible day. Tomorrow will be better – Keep that thought!!!!!

patti

Karen,

Oy, sorry for the pain of a day. I hear you though. By the end of a day like that I’m so exhausted I just want to curl up and crash for hours. Glad you got to. Have you had a chance to see a new doctor yet? We’ll try ours out this wednesday.

Hang in there. Don’t underestimate the role your dad’s dementia plays in all this. Have you talked to his doctor about Aricept? It might really bring him back for awhile.

Best Wishes for a brighter day,

Patti

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert