MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Loss of taste

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Loss of taste

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    connieore

Hello, I have MDS – RAEB-2 (Diagnosed in January, 06) and just completed my eleventh round of Vidaza Chemotherapy. This one was harder on my body than any of the others; more bone pain, some bleeding at the injection sites, bruising, hoarseness and then the feeling on the tongue as though I had scalded it with hot liquid. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? (I am 69 years of age, and seem to have had more longevity than most, having survived a year and four months so far)

eve

make sure they check your mouth and tongue for any fungus infections – my dad had many – i don’t know if they were caused by the mds or the vidaza treatments ( he was on vidaza for more than 3 years)

good luck

eve

jaxem

connieore
    have the rounds been continuous (4 weeks each)? have you had biopsies since starting the rounds?

Jimbob

Connie,
    At your blog I read that you are trying a number of soft, pungent cheeses. I have to wonder if these might not cause you a problem. It may be different, but after I had my SCT, the hospital’s written list of items not be be eaten for at least 180 days (later if white blood cell count was not high enough) included ALL soft, non-pasteurized cheeses. I couldn’t even have brie or blue cheese for almost a year because my counts were so low.

BETTE BOOP

CONNIE,I`M PROBABLY LATE IN WRITTING BUT I WANTED TO TELL EVERYONE I HAVE BEEN 6 YEARS WITH MDS AND STILL GOING. IT HASN`T BEEN EASY AT TIMES. LOSS OF VOICE, SOOO TIRED, LOTS OF BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS
    BUT WITH GOD WE CAN DO ANYTHING. KEEP BUSY AND TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT MDS TO MUCH. I KNOW ITS DIFFICULT

chuckk333

A recent news letter from either MDS Foundation or the AA&MDS Intl. Foundation had an article on foods to avoid if you have low WBC (especially neutrophils) I can’t find it as we’ve just gone to our home in CA from CO, but perhaps you all can find it by contacting either org. It did mention non-pasturized cheeses as some to avoid, especially the “blue” cheeses eg.brie, etc.

Chuck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert