MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

low hg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bety

At what level are transfusions recommended?

lynette

The need for transfusion is dependent upon a several things. Most people can tolerate a Hgb of 8. Lower values usually produce symptoms and warrant a transfusion. If the person is symptomatic; ie: Shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain, a transfusion may be ordered even if Hgb is above 8 and below 9. Also, the older the person is, the more likely he/she will have a transfusion since as one ages, Oxygen saturations naturally decrease. Additionally, older people tend to have higher risk for Cardiovascular disease, and if Hgb goes below 8, there is a very good chance of inadequate oxygen supply to the heart.
    Regards,
    Lynette

bety
    Quote:
    Originally posted by bety:
    bety
    Quote:
    Originally posted by bety:

Thank you for your rapid reply. I am not very proficient with the internet. Sorry if I have sent inept messages.
    My husband(age 86) has an hgb level of 7.3..it dropped precipitously while on antibiotics. Even at this very low level, he feels well and has no apparent cardiac symptoms. I would prefer he not start tx unless absolutely necessary. He says that for occasional sleepy spells (which
    he has had for years), he would not know that he has mds (diagnosed 7/03). Bety

eve

hi bety

your husband is very fortunate that he is symptom free – may his luck continue

eve

Neil

Hi Bety,
    Is your husband seeing a hematologist experienced in treating MDS?
    Feeling well with a HGB of 7.3 at age 86 is quite remarkable.

CarolineG

Hi Bety,

My Dad (80) got a transfusion when his hemoglobin dropped below 100. That is 100 in Canada. In the US I think it means 10.0. Now he gets Aranesp shots instead of transfusions and his hemoglobin has remained above 100 for 9 months.

I hope that the only symptom your husband experiences is tiredness for a long time to come.

Blessings,

Caroline

bety

Thank you for your blessings and encouraging remarks. Our hematologist is reputable, scholarly, and keeps up with mds conferences and the literature. He has only a few mds patients; this is not his only focus. Incidentally, he preferred scheduling a tx immediately, but we asked that he postpone it for a few days in case his counts recover after completing the antibiotic treatment. He ephasized that if my husband developed any symptoms, he should come in immediately. We have and appointment this Thursday. Bety

eve

hi bety

where is your husband being treated

eve

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert