MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Low wbc and AML

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Low wbc and AML

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maueenh
    Participant

The last BMB my father had showed blasts just under 20% which I understand is the cutoff for MDS. What I am trying to understand is if he had progressed to AML wouldn’t his white counts be elevated? I thought high wbc was indicative of AML.

Maureen

jaxem

maureen
    you would think. the blast cells are immature white cells that crowd out all other cells. if the blast cells stay in the marrow & don’t get into the peripheral blood, a cbc test might show reduced whites as well as reds. good question & i’ll ask the hematologist about it.

kls

Hi Maureen,
    My Dad was diagnosed with AML and always had very low WBC. Good luck trying to figure this crazy disease out. My Dad passed away about 2 weeks after yours. You have my sympathy. Kristi

Russ P.

Prayers for Maureen and kls. May you find comfort in your memories and may God sustain you in your grief.
    Blessings,
    Russ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert