MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS and operations

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS and operations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    andrew

Operations

Greetings from England
    My mother has MDS 5q- / she’s 67 . She was diagnosed June 2003. She has been on thalidomide (25 mgs) and has responded very well. In fact hasn’t had a txs since Feb and her haemoglobin is 13.6. However she has been told that she has to have a hip replacemnt (it is about to collapse). I am a bit worried as I thought people with MDS should avoid operations as there is always a possibility that infections can be introduced not matter how careful people are. Is this operation very risky?
    I would really appreciate any comments/similar experiences.

Suzanne

I believe others here have had surgery when absolutely necessary.. Hope you hear from them on specifics. Her counts would determine the danger and they can do things to help-transfuse platelets and put her on antibiotics. Would think that they would be looking at risk vrs benefit on this. A hip in trouble can be very painful..& debilitating. Hope things work out OK.

lindajo

Dear Andrew, I know how frigntening it can be when surgery comes up. My feeling is that if a doctor is willing to do it it must be necessary.

I had surgery to have septum removed last fall. I was better instantly because the septum was blocking my airway when I slept and my sleeping improved immediately. It enabled me to have more energy to fight MDS. I think I should have had the surgery years ago, but couldn’t find a doctor willing to take the risk. It also eliminated sinus infections that wouldn’t go away.

I had another friend who had her gall-bladder removed and surgery for carpal tunnel and she saw an improvement in MDS symptoms during the recovery process also. She was 5q- and in a trial for Revlimid at the time.

I will pray that your Mother has good results too. Lindajo

Kathryn

Hey Andrew,

before my father’s surgery (colonostomy) they loaded him up w/ blood, platelets, antibiotics and another medicine to boost his immune system. He came through the surgery beautifully. It sounds like your mother’s counts are stable, which is very good, but I am sure the doctor will monitor them closely before, during & after just to be sure.

Best wishes and prayers for your mother & you.

Kathryn

andrew

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts – as always very much appreciated.

Monica

Hello Andrew

My name is Monica, I am from Mexico, I just suscribe to this page today. My mother has the MDS syndrome and I am about to take her to USA because I don’t trust treatments here in Mexico that much. Please tell me, how this thalidomide worked for your mother. The doctor wants to practice her the ATG treatment, but I don’t trust this procedure very much. Have your mother tried it?

Hope she’s recovered from her surgery. Mónica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert