MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS Care Management

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS Care Management

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laurie H

In addition to MDS, I have severe degenerative joint disease. I had back surgery twice in November and have been ill since the second week of December. My RBC has been running 24 & 25 for nearly a year and once dipping down to 23 & 18. I had TX a number of times but just didn’t really help. When I told Dr.s I’m pretty sure I need a TX they put me off twice and that is when my RBC dropped to 23 & 18. I asked them ( I see several Dr.s)repeatedly if something else could be going on and was pretty much blown off because I have MDS. This continued until March 9th when I went into have my procrit & pneupegen shots and nearly collapsed in the hallway. They put me in a wheel chair and pushed to the ER next door where I spent a week in ICU. Has anyone else had any similar experiences with DR.s not listening to you. I have resorted to arranging with my primary care physician to act as a liason between myself and MDS Dr.s in order to manage my care so that I am receiving the treatment I need. I am only 55 years old and because I have MDS they nearly let me die from multiple blood clots in both lungs.

jaxem

laurie
    mds isn’t a disease that is seen by many healthcare pros especially people in ER’s. that’s why it’s so important you see a hematologist, preferably at a known institution for doing transplants. I’d be scared stiff being treated at the place you describe. any chance you can get a 2nd opinion at Hutch in Seattle? I think you mean to put a decimal point beween the RBC #’s. also, most institutions don’t transfuse until you get below 0.8 but patients do react differently at low counts although yours doesn’t seem that low. Normal RBC is 4.1 to 5.4. anyone say anything about getting you started on revlimid?

jaxem

sorry about the 0.8 number in last reply. that’s a hemoglobin #. normal hemo is between 12 & 16. not sure if any institutions transfuse based upon RBC level.

Laurie, I wrote a kind of long message, so I decided to send it directly to your E-mail address. I was so sorry to read your posting. The plant collector.

Laurie H

Sorry, the RBC number I gave was actually HCT.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert