MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS EXPLANATION

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS EXPLANATION

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hope&faith

My father said he has raeb with 12% blasts, can anyone help explain… Thanks

Chiparoo

Hope&Faith,

RAEB is “Refractory Anemia with Excessive (or increased) Blasts.” The percentage figure is for the amount of blasts. Blasts are leukemia-like cells. There are 2 categories, RAEB-1, 6% to 10% blasts, and RAEB-2, 11% to 20% blasts. Looks like your dad has category 2. People that have marrow that contains more than 30% blasts have acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Beyond that, is CML, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. I have what your dad has, have found a donor, and am awaiting stem cell replacement.

The MDS Foundation has wonderful information. Take advantage of it. And don’t be afraid to ask your dad’s oncologist questions.
    Information is truly power! I wish the best to your dad, you, and your family in your path toward healing. Keep the faith!

Chip
    ——————–
    48, Dx w/ RARS April 03. Long arm of chromosome #20 missing. Unsuccessful month w/Thalidomide Jan 04. Dx w/RAEB Aug 05. 2 rounds of Vidaza. Procrit and Neulasta as needed. Vidaza stopped 11/05 – no sign of improvement. Regular transfusions. Found bone marrow match and donor. Waiting for transplant date.

Suzanne

I had that category also and have found some success so far without haveing a transplant so don’t let the life expectancy statitics totally freak you out. Find good doctors at a center of excellence. Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert