MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS Flu shots

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS Flu shots

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    camiboxer

My dad called me last night and informed me that he had an appt today for his yearly flu shot. For whatever reason this made me a little cautious. I told him to contact his hemo prior to having it. He was a little taken a back on this suggestion.
    As he pointed out to me, he has gotten them for years and not had any bad results. He also has avoided the flu.
    I found myself *trying* to explain that NOW everything was different. Things of this nature need to be addressed and faced head on.
    I feel terrible now and even during the conversation my husband was in the background telling me to STOP and to leave him alone.
    Am I the only one who gets what is going on? Or am I being too overly protective?
    I would hate to think that I could have helped prevent a catastrophe (not necessarily this encounter) by speaking up.
    Are others with MDS getting the flu shot? In theory it sounds good enough BUT I can see both sides of the equation.

eve

hi susi

my dad has been getting the flu shot – even when there was a shortage his hemodoc made sure he got one

on the other hand terri’s husband does not get the flu shot

there might be different points of view on this topic among physicians

you were very smart to anticipate that this should be questioned – it never hurts to be over cautious

good luck
    eve

patti

Susi,

Mom’s hemo always asks her to get a flu shot but we always refuse. We are of the opinion that they do more damage then good. That debate will go on until the end of time between those who believe in flu shots and those who don’t. If your dad is in the flu shot camp you will have a hard time convincing him not to get it. You may just have to let it go. As for mom and I, we are firmly against them and mom has not been sick since she was diagnosed two years ago. She only has 300-400ANC’s on a good day so she’s a pretty big risk for getting anything.

patti

riley

Hi Susi,

Our experience was like Eve’s — even during the year that there was a flu shot shortage, my father’s hem/onc made sure that my father got one. The doctor also told my mother and me, as caregivers for my father, that we needed to get one. We all got the shots, and none of us got the flu.

I agree with Eve — different hem/oncs may have differing ideas about what’s appropriate.

Nicole

Jimbob

Susi, I have had to have flu shots for years, along with a bunch of other shots on a regular basis, because I was in the National Guard. They required that we be fully imunized and ready to roll just in case we were activated. After I was dx’d my hemo doc insisted that i continue until the SCT. After, I could not have any shots until at least a year. Then it began again along with the normal baby shot regimine. They believe that a patient, after transplant, is more able to handle the immunizations than risk the illnesses or diseases.
    Jim

Marsha

Jimbob,

Just a question about those baby shots; I am headed into my 2nd year after transplant and will be getting re-immunized. What ones did they end up giving to you. Also did you get the new chicken pox one? Will wait for your answer? I am not looking forward to having all those shots again. LOL!! Talk about born again!! LOL Marsha

patti

Jim,

Question about your vaccines…do you have to have the vaccines or do the doctors just recommend it? I note that you said the docs believe one is more able to handle the vaccines better then the disease but I was just wondering if it was even an option to tell them no or did you have to agree to them to get a transplant? More a curiosity then anything.

Patti

Suzanne

another 2 cents worth-they made very sure I got the flu shot while I was fighting MDS and AML-I was high prority when there was a shortage. I had never gotten the shot before. Now I get it every year and I got the pneuumonia one too. If I have more problems with the disease I don’t want my body to have to fight anything extra that it does not have too. Because I had traveled to Africa before I was diagnosed I had all kinds of shots and boosters and I always felt that kept me safer then some when my immune system was weak. Guess there are always more then one opinion on everything.

Jimbob

I had a choice but they di stress that the risk of the shots were minimal compared to the risk of illlness if I was exposed w/o the immunizations. My WBC is still low after 30 months post transplant.
    I cannot remember the shots but I think it was something like DPTT and flu after I had already had one for pneumonia – after 3 bouts of it during first 8 months!
    My regular doctor told me that he does not recommend the normal immunizations for most patients but told me that he tohought I should get them. I did so at the BMT clinic during a routine check-up as it was the easiest way. btw, they all told me not to worry about the shots possibly causing autism at my age.
    Jim

camiboxer

Well dad talked to his hemo nurse today and they said to go ahead with it. He did and he said it didn’t even hurt this time. :p
    I am such a worrier…..I need to work on that.

Carl

Susi,

I ALWAYS get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot in the fall-early winter of each year. Flu-pneumonia can be serious and even fatal to people with compromised immune systems like us with MDS. I have had no reactions to the shots and I would encourage you to have your dad discuss the shots with your hemo/doc to make sure he is OK with the shots.

covergirl

Last year my ONC/hemo insisted I get a flu shot. My first ever. Will be getting again this year as last year I did not get so much as a cold during the entire season.

SusanJ

My dad got his flu shot yesterday and today he has been running a fever. It hasn’t gotten over 100.6 but has been pretty steady all morning. Has anyone else had fever after a shot?

lindajo

My daughter was seven when I was diagnosed. She has been getting a flu shot also every to help protect both her and I. The doctors that recommended this were all center of excellence caliber. I have had 13 different hemo/onc over the years due to their retirements, moving, second opinions and a couple died on me. They all recommended the shots for me and my immediate family members/caregivers. So far 15 years no flu. Lindajo

shirlsgirl

Hi Lindajo, 15 years..that’s great! Mom’s been getting the flu shot also…for the past couple of years. Her family doctor and hem. recommend that she get it and so far so good. Susi, glad to hear that it didn’t hurt smile . Susan, how’s your Dad feeling?

I haven’t heard too much about the flu shots yet this year…wondering when they’ll start immunizing here in Ontario?

Jody

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert