MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS Flu shots

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS Flu shots

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I called the research nurse coordinator for the Zarnestra trial I’m on, to make sure getting a flu shot would not interfere with anything. She said that getting a flu shot does not hurt anything, but if your counts are too low, the flu shot make not be effective. It just goes to show that if you ask five medical experts the same question, you will get five different expert answers.
    Jack

Jerry

Got my flu shot this week … no pain …. no temp … my hemo said it would be “crazy” for me to not get the shot when the flu could literally kill me … this is a total no-brainer in my opinion … the only restriction is that you cannot be allergic to chicken or eggs … my 2 cents worth …

Jerry

Caroline

Hi.
    My Dad always gets a flu shot. He got them before he found out that he had MDS and then CMML and he still get it every year.

Jody.

We heard that Flu shots are behind this year because the manufacturers had to add something to the serum to protect us from another type of flu. Does that sound right to you? That was just hearsay but I heard it from a few different people.

I read in the newspaper that they will begin giving flu shots in the middle of November. If you hear any differently, would you let me know please? You and I only live about 45 minutes apart so I assume we will get the shots at the same time. Last week my Mom cut a piece out of the K-W Record with a schedule for Flu Shot Clinics on it but that can change anytime.

Caroline

shirlsgirl

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the info.

Usually by now Occ. health nurses come around with their flu trolly to immunize us at work, guess that explains why they haven’t been around as yet. Please let me know if you hear anything else..and I’ll do the same. smile

Jody

here’s a flu link from Canadian Public Health:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/06vol32/acs-07/index.html

cthomas555

SusanJ,

How is your father? I remember running a slight fever after receiving my first flu shot in the 1960’s. Nothing more developed from it. I have been receiving them on a regular basis since my MDS diagnosis in 1996.

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert