MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS RAEB 1 (+8)

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS RAEB 1 (+8)

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anna mi
    Participant

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like to thank you all for sharing your experience and all the useful information I have found here.

My father (76) has been diagnosed with MDS RAEB 1 a month ago (9% of blast, low plates at 60, +8 chromosome abnormality) with lower intermediate risk. The doctor suggested Vidaza treatment. I read a lot about this type of MDS know that it has a poor outlook. However I still do not understand what’s the natural path of this disease. As I understand it transforms into AML in some 40% of cases. What about the rest? Is there any chance to live long life with this type of MDS or there is no hope at all? I would be very grateful if somebody could share the experience with this type of MDS.
    With kind regards,
    Anna

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by anna mi.
    garsch
    Participant

anna mi, I had low intermediate MDS with tri +8 and q20 abnormality (RCMD). Low platlets is how they finally found the MDS with bone marrow biopsy. I was diagnosed at 64. I tried Vidaza for 6 months and it lowered all my levels to the point where they thought I was in remission but unfortunately it came back. Some people have great results for years I am told. I went back on Vidaza for a few months with no success then my Dr put me on Decibine for 10 days which knocked down the +8 but did nothing for the q20 so after speaking with another Dr at Univ of Chicago and my Dr they agreed I should move forward with the stem cell transplant using a donor. I had the transplant in June of this year. Everyone responds differently to the transplants. I was in the hospital for 29 days and the only complications I had were stomach and bowel issues for a week or so along with a rash. My blood (whites and neutrophils (10.5) are normal now, my hemoglobin (12.3), reds (3.9) are very near normal. except for platelets (73) which are gradually coming around. I saw people of all ages getting transplants when I was there and it’s the only option for a cure. I went to Northwestern Memorial in Chicago and was told I had a 60% chance to cure the disease with transplant. They do numerous transplants per week. I think there was like 30+ people getting transplants when I was there. Yesterday when I was in for my bone marrow biopsy I ran into a gentleman in his 70’s getting his port out who had a transplant the same week I did and his bone marrow showed he was disease free. I should hear on my biopsy next week hoping for the same results, clean and disease free results. One thing I can tell you is over time Vidaza wears you down. If you consider a transplant do it when you are healthy vs waiting. Try Vidaza if it works great, if not talk to a Dr that has done many transplants about your options. I would certainly go to one of the centers of excellence locations on the MDS website because a Dr that deals with MDS on a regular basis knows whats best for your father. Hope that helps.

Gary

dj carroll
    Participant

Hi Anna,

I’m a newbie here, dx’ed in the spring time and have had 3 rounds of Vidaza. Though only 68 not a transplant candidate for the extensive chemo, non-hodgkins lymphoma, since 1998.

Will see if it works, doc says to give it 6 months at least. Easy peasy chemo it is though a ain with the weekly blood draws. I’ve a port, would recommend. which saves veins for blood draws.

You best talk to his doc about the natural course of the disease, imho.

Regards, dj

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert