MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Medical Breakthrough THALIDOMIDE

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Medical Breakthrough THALIDOMIDE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josie

I just found this information.

Help for Blood Disorder
    TAMPA, Fla. (Ivanhoe Broadcast News) — In the 60s, the drug thalidomide was known for causing birth defects. Now, 40 years later, a form of this drug could be the answer to keeping some patients alive. Here’s how thalidomide is helping patients beat a blood disorder.

Enjoying life is what Duncan Ross and his wife Monica want to do. But in 2001, Duncan was diagnosed with a blood disorder called myelodysplastic syndrome. The disease can lead to leukemia.

To manage the symptoms of MDS, Duncan had to have blood transfusions every two weeks, but he refused to give up hope. He says, “You have to know what your options are, and the way you get that is through the miracle of the Internet.”

By keeping up with journal articles online, Duncan found out about a new drug called Revlimid. It’s a derivative of the drug, thalidomide.

Hematologist Alan List, M.D., says, “This is the biggest thing we have ever had for this disease.”

Dr. List, of Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Fla., heads the research on Revlimid. He says the drug targets the cause of the disease. “This actually changes the bone marrow itself and makes it work effectively — like a normal bone marrow,” he says.

Duncan started on the drug in September 2003. He had one blood transfusion then, but has not needed one since. “My life has been given back to me,” he says. “It’s a virtual miracle.”

“In 20 years of dealing with patients with myelodysplasia, we have never had anything with this magnitude of benefit for individuals that can cause a remission, particularly with just a pill,” Dr. List says.

While no one will say it’s a cure, Duncan says he likes to think it’s close.

Revlimid is also being studied in patients with melanoma and prostate cancer. It is not FDA approved and is only available for patients who are part of a clinical research trial.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, go to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.

sarah

Yes, this news made national headlines today. I remember about a year ago Dr Alan List with H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center spoke promising about this drug. I actually gave a copy of article to my husbands Dr. to read. Sounds like the success rate over the past year is outstanding, based on what I have read in todays paper. Who on forum has used Revlimid?
    Sarah

Carrie

I just read this on yahoo news, too:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cancer_surprise

I am curious about who’s using it, too. Check in!

Anyone with secondary MDS??

P.S. NEVER go on the Yahoo discussion boards (there’s usually a link at the end of the articles). There are very, very stupid people out there who post ignorant comments even on the nicest of stories.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert