MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mike Update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mike Update

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sandy L

The seven days of the chemo are over. He tolerated it well. His counts are very low but they are giving him platelets and blood regularly. They say this week and next are the crucial weeks. To expect fever, mouth sores and to be very careful in banging or bruising himself. My son (Brian) is here and that has allowed me to go home to sleep for the last two nights. It is hard to access the internet from the hospital so that is why I have not posted. If anyone does want to send me a private e-mail you have to use this new address sandylutzker@yahoo.com
    my other e-mail I can’t pick up the messages from the hospital.

We are optimistic. I am still waiting to see what type of AML he has. We have been talking at length and he wants to go to either Hackensack, nj or sloan kettering in NY for the transplant. I still want him to go to Seattle but he thinks that either of the NY area centers he will be fine. Does anyone have confidence in a particular doctor affliated with either of those two hospitals? I will then have to call to see if they will take him as a new patient. We need to wait till 14 days when they will redo the BMB to see if he is in remission. (Please G_d) . My daughter and son live in NJ and the family support would be wonderful. My daughter just gave birth to # 3 and she is still breastfeeding and the baby has not had his shots yet and can’t travel.

I am trying to remain strong. I even worked two days this week since Brian was with Mike round the clock. It helped me a lot knowing that I was able to tie up some loose ends at work, and since Mike slept most of the time anyway. wink

Brian took very good care of his father and Mike is still talking about the two day experience. I will post again when I can and if anything changes.

Thank you in advance for all your support and prayers.

Jimbob

Sandy,
    It is important to the patient to have family nearby during recovery AND most transplant centers will require that the patient stay within 20-25 minutes of the hospital for the first 100 days. That is something that you will have to take into consideration when deciding in where to go. Also, as the nursing staff or social services if there is computer access for family or patients near Mike’s room.
    Prayers for Mike, you and the family.
    Jim

KWJ

Thank you so much for posting. I am so glad he is doing okay so far. I pray he continues to do well. My dad was given the same odds but his doc said not to do it. He did not think he would make it. So Dad is just doing transfusions. It seems now he is having reds every 3 days too. With the platelets.

I will keep you and mike in my thoughts.

gemloyear

Sandy, I’m praying for you and Mike.You do need the support of your family at this time. It would be wonderful if Mike and you can be near your children for the transplant. It’s great that he’s tolerating the chemo so well. You are both so brave to elect to transplant. Again many prayers,God bless you both.
    Ellie

patti

Sandy,

Good to hear Mike is tolerating things well. Lots of decisions to make… take care and hang in there. I’m glad you were able to get some sleep. It’s hard enough without running on an empty engine also.

Praying for wisdom for you.

patti

katiebear

Hi Sandy,

I live on Long Island, and my dad is scheduled to undergo a transplant at Sloan on January 18th. His doctor is Ann Jakubowski. I hope this helps if you decide to go there. I will be praying.

Katie

Terri

Sandy, Continuing to keep you both in my prayers. Thank you for posting and keeping us updated, we are all pulling for you

God Bless

Sandy L

Hi all,

Katie Bear please share more details. I went to the SK site and did not find that doctor’s name. What can we expect? I will be praying for your Dad to make a speedy recovery. Who is the donor? A family member? What type of MDS did he have and any chromosome abnormalties?

I will be posting again tonight in a new heading.

katiebear

Hi Sandy,

If you go to Sloankettering.com, and go to the top right there is a spot where you can search for a doctor. She is in there under J with a phone number.

So far it’s been a long wait. My dad has RAEB2. No chromosome abnormalities, thank God. He was diagnosed in March of this year. His sister is his donor. He was initially scheduled to go in sometime in October, but he didn’t have his affairs in order, so they allowed him to postpone it until November 19th. My Aunt started to undergo her tests, and they found toxemia in her blood, so it was put off again in order for her to build up antibodies. Just last week her test came back okay, so they scheduled him for January 18th. He has been on Vidaza since April with good results. The side effects don’t seem to bother him much. He’s lucky that way. Yesterday he got his cbc and his whites are very low and he needed a shot of Neupogen, and he has to go back again today and get another cbc done. I hope his counts hold and everything is okay until the transplant.

He also had a very hard time finding housing. There are a number of places that do provide free or very low cost housing, I could dig those numbers out if you’re interested.

We are really scared. He has a pacemaker, and this is the first transplant the doctor has done on somebody with one. I hope I answered your questions. I will keep praying.

Katie

Sandy L

Hi Katie,

I would like those phone numbers if you do not mind. You can e-mail it to me at sandylutzker@yahoo.com. Thanks.

I will continue to pray for your Dad. He has a lot of good things going for him. Be stong for him. How is his mental attitude? I was wondering if they believe in Hypnotism for a Positive Outcome. Has anyone heard anything about that?

I will be looking for your posts. Did you buy him Lance Armstrong’s book. It might be good to refer to it from time to time.

willie

Sandy Both of you are in my thoughts through this treatment. Also, be sure that all, especially including the doctors) that come near him or his environment wash their hands and come with clean clothes. With the low whites he needs to be carefull. Willie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert