MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mom hit wall now AML starting decitibine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mom hit wall now AML starting decitibine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kristyk

It has been a long while since I posted, but I have kept up with the board. My mother was diagnosed with MDS, likely transforming into AML in feb 2005. Referred for potential decitibine clinical trial, but was doing quite well and did not qualify back then for trial as her numbers just hovered at the AML side of things. She stayed quite healthy for about 6 months and was receiving procrit every week, and transfusion about every 12 weeks. In August she started to trend towards more frequent transfusions and the white count started its climb.
    Last Monday 10-31-05 her cbc was okish for mds…9.6 hemo, 3 red, 170 platelet…wbc was 70,000..high. By this past monday the 8th, she was SICK…4 hemo, 40 platelet, 1.9 red, 120,000 wbc. Needless to say she is in the hospital and the verdict is AML, which seems to have transformed overnight in a BIG WAY. She was very sick and since last night she has needed 6 units of blood to get hemo to a 6. This came on so suddenly and the dr says that AML can mutate like that in hours.
    So our grace period since diagnosis is over it seems and I feel blessed that she was very healthy for 9 months. I had mentioned long ago that I would post about her decitibine experience if she ever started the drug. So she is starting this week. For now they are just trying to stabilize. Tomorrow the port goes in. If all looks ok, she will start the drug thurs or fri. It is a 5 days a month treatment course. I have no idea what to expec. Tonight I asked the dr about results thus far in his study. He says that for AML the stats are minimal because most of the studies have been for mds. But he said in his study, the mds patients had 12% with “complete response” ( I wonder what this means exactly? remission?) and another 40% had “some partial response”. So here we go. I will let you all know what happens. If this does not work, and he said they will know after 2 months, or two rounds….he will pull out the “big guns” and go for the old consolodation/induction chemo treatment.
    Keep prayers and fingers crossed. I hope for all of us this drug looks promising.

Kristy K

Sandy L

Hi Kristy

You have my prayers. Stay strong and I hope the decibine experience is very successful. I will look for your posts. Good luck to Mom – give her a big hug from me. (I never knew it could progress that quickly – I always thought it would evolve over a few months and allow for mental preparation.

kristyk

thanks Sandy..I do hope. As for the quick progression, I think the process has been elvolving quietly all these months, the dr’s have said that all along, however without symptoms ( other that counts being slightly off) it is easy to think “surely they must be wrong”. Still the change in the her counts this week was amazing..all of the docs seemed a little “freaked” out as well…it will be interesting to see results of the bone marrow biopsy taken this eve…my guess is that the blast count will be awful. But hey she is feeling better with blood and is ready to tackle this thing. thanks again for the support. Kristy K

Ensnee

Kristy, I’m sending all the very best to your mom and you. I hope the decitibine works like magic for her.

many hugs,
    Esme

lindajo

Kristy, Don’t give up. She is a fighter evidently. We will pray for you. Lindajo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert