MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mom's Biopsy Results

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mom's Biopsy Results

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    geebeebee

Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is that the lumps were cancerous. Good news is that the cancer is non-invasive, so it’s not the kind that spreads around your body.

The doctors are recommending a mastectomy, but said they could probably be talked into a lumpectomy if Mom or her BMT doctors were strongly against it. Mom, I think, is leaning toward the mastectomy — this is two times in five years there, so I think she just wants it out of the way…she has enough to worry about for now. I don’t know how ugly of a procedure that is, but we’ll see. She’s still battling this horrible stomach virus she’s had for about a week now — better than graft-vs-host.

Like Dad told the nurses at the clinic — it’s pretty sad when you’re happy about getting “just” a bad stomach virus and a mastectomy. But, these are much different times for Mom.

Thanks as always for all of your support and I hope this finds everyone doing well.

Greg

mommachkate

Hi Greg, So sorry to hear the bad news. Your Mom been through so much. I hope she will be strong enough and shake that virus, and have the mastectomy, and get all better soon. My best wishes Kate

Terri

Keeping You all in my prayers, I wish your Mom the best Greg

Kathryn

Greg, I just wanted to let you know that you and your mother are in my prayers.

It is interesting how your perception changes with these diseases… you have to count your blessings and look for the positive. The little bright lights. They give you faith & hope.

I hope that the little bright lights turn into big rays of sunshine for your mother w/ much better days right around the corner.

Take care,

Kathryn

sarah

Greg, I too will keep your mom in my prayers. Take things one day at a time. Hope shes feeling better soon.

shirlsgirl

Greg,

Thinking of you and your Mom and Dad. Hope that nasty stomach bug goes away soon. Your mom has been through so much….I hope and pray that she has a quick recovery from her surgery.

take care, Jody

CMH64

Greg,

Wow! Your Mom is like a Timex watch – she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Bless her heart, and yours. I am praying that she meets this challenge as she has met all of the others! With a strong constitution and success! Thinking of your Mom, Dad, you and your family. Keep us posted! Cathy

gemloyear

Greg, We are praying for your mom and hope that she has a successful outcome for her surgery.She is truly blessed to have such a caring son.

Ellie

Jimbob

Greg,
    Your mom has the best medicine possible – a good, very positive attitude. That will make whatever the doctors do work so much better. Keeping her, you and your family in my prayers.
    Jim

geebeebee

Thanks so much, all of you.

She hasn’t had a stomach incident for the past day, so Dad is hoping she’s turned the corner on the virus. Of course, it’s enhanced her tiredness and weakness, but hopefully she can build up some steam for the breast cancer junk.

Thanks again and take care,

Greg

April

Greg ~ You and your family are in my prayers.

shirlsgirl

Hey Greg,

I was just thinking about you and your mom. How is she doing? How are you doing?

Marsha

Greg,

Your mom has alot going for her, her attitude and the great support system she has in you and your day, plus all the prayers that are coming her way. Add one more.

God Bless,
    Marsha

geebeebee

Hi Jody, Marsha and all,

Thanks so much. Mom’s hit a bit of a snag…she was found to have gut and possibly liver GVHD, so they put her on a huge dose of steroids (prednisone, I believe). That has left her totally devoid of energy, and very emotional and depressed. She still hasn’t had the masectomy because of her weakness. I think she feels it’s piling up on her, and she’ll never get out from under it.

Dad’s starting to show the stress as well, and my sister and I help when we can, but Dad still suffers the brunt of the work, as Mom is just more comfortable with that.

Hopefully, things will look up soon. I think if she can just get the surgery out of the way, and get the GVHD under control and get some energy, then maybe things can start looking brighter.

I hope all of you are doing well. Jody, I hope your mom is still doing OK, and Marsha, I hope that you continue on the road to recovery.

Thanks,

Greg

CMH64

Greg,

We just never seems to run out of complications with this horrible disease. I am thinking of your Mom and your family as you continue to fight the monster, or in her case monsters! Bless your Dad’s heart! He has been a great caregiver! We are praying that the GVHD will submit to the steriods and things can move forward! Thanks for keeping us updated. Cathy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert