MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mom's Counts with ATG and Pineapple

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mom's Counts with ATG and Pineapple

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lucym

Mom came home from the hospital on 1/30/06. Her last plt tx was 1/31/06 (count at 6). She has been eating pineapple every day. 2/3/06 plt count 15 yesterday 2/7/06 plt count 25. In the hospital for 13 days with plt tx nearly everyday (sometime 2 a day) and we could not get the count passed 10. This is very good news but other counts are low and dropping and Mom is very tired. WBC 4.4 down from 5.2, RBC 3.4 down from 3.8, HCT 30.2 down from 33.6 and HGB 9.5 down from 10.8. The doctors told us if the ATG was working we would not know for 6-12 weeks and the plt count would be the last to come up so I think it is all the pineapple but the doctor is not even entertaining the idea. Thanks to all for the pineapple information…..if you are looking to raise plt count eat some pineapple.

patti

Lucy,

Glad to hear your mom’s platelets are coming up! You will find that *most* doctors are quick to dismiss anything natural working. We use a cancer naturapath that works with my MIL’s doctor because we want both sides. Although mom does mostly natural stuff her doctor still says none of it matters. Except they all expected mom to die more than a year ago. They’ll readily admit that to us. But to tell them we believe God and the natural medicine is what’s helped her go this long, they completely blow us off. It’s good if you can have a naturapath to help strengthen your mom’s body through these treatments. My MIL just started acupuncture two weeks ago and is finding it very helpful. I wonder if your mom’s energy level would benefit with some acupuncture? Something to toss around. In the meantime, I’m glad the pineapple is working for her!

Best wishes,

patti

Terri

Lucy, Fresh Green Veggies are good to for overall counts. I try to do salads with Hearts of Romaine. I also Cook Spinach, Escarole. Bob is increasing his Pineapple too.

lynette

Lucy,
    Glad to hear that Mom is out of the Hospital. There was a recent article noting the benefits of green tea for patients with blood cancers. My Mom and I have a cup everyday(decaf).
    Lynette

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert