MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

natural killer cell infusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board natural killer cell infusions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dusty

Hello Everyone
    First let me say that this site is truely a blessing. I have been reading the posts ever since my wife Betty was dx with secondary MDS back in June. I admire the courage that all of you have in coping with this disease, and my heart breaks when I read of your disappointments and the loss of your loved ones.

With recurrent ALL and MDS our only hope of long term survival (years versus months) has been to get the ALL into remission and to proceed with a cord blood transplant. She had a BMB on Sep 1 and when we got the results on Sep 7 it showed that there was more leukemia present than before her last round of chemo. But now her MDS has apparently advanced to AML.

She has been very resistent to most chemo, and on the last infusion, she was only able to tolerate 36 hours of a 72 hour protocol of Ara-C. It is probable that any chemo to knock the AML would likely cause more damage to her already damaged heart.

So her doctor is basically recommending comfort measures (pain control and periodic transfusions. Needless to say, this has been devastating – you have all been there.

Today I heard that there have been some promising results for AML that has been resistant to other forms of chemo if patients are transfused with natural killer cells from a related donor. does anyone know of this procedure? Is it available to patients that simultaneously have ALL? and does the trisomy 8 problem have any complications.

We are hoping to hear back from the University of Minnesota about our chances. Any help would be appreciated.
    For mor information on our situation, you can check Betty’s web page at http://www.caringbridge/visit/bettybush
    God Bless you all
    Dusty

riley

Hi Dusty,

I’m sorry that I don’t know the answers to your questions, but there are lots of knowledgeable people on this website who will probably be able to help you. I just wanted you to know that I’ll be praying for you and Betty.

Thanks for sharing your website with us. Your writing is so sincere, and your love story is truly beautiful.

God bless,
    Nicole

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert