MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Neupogen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kellie DeVito
    Participant

Has anyone been on Neupogen shots and have you had long term success?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The growth factors granulocyte colony stimulating factor (G-CSF, neupogen, or filgrastim) and granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF or sargramostim) can improve white blood cell production among MDS patients with frequent infections.

Trina Duffy
    Participant

My husband has been receiving Neupogen injections off and on for well over a year without any problems.

Pat Rushin
    Participant

I’ve been taking Neupogen one week per month (after Vidaza treatments) for the past three months and it’s kept my ANC from bottoming out and actually brought it up high enough for me to eat sushi one week (yum). Some muscle/bone ache with it (in arms) but tolerable.

The best thing I discovered is that I could give the daily shots to myself at home, thus saving time waiting at doc’s office plus a lot of $$. It’s a simple subcutaneous shot (arm or belly fat) no worse than insulin shot, so easy to do it yourself. Ask your doc or better yet a nurse, and all best to you.

Katheri Radosh
    Participant

I am being treated for MDS RARS variant. I was taking bi-weekly Procrit injections to stimulate my red cell count with soso results. Last year I became a patient of Dr.Foran at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. He switched me to a weekly injection of the Procrit and supplemented that with a weekly injection of the minimum dose of Neupogen. He said that there is an interaction between the two that increases the effect of the Procrit. This combination has worked well for me. I have had my Hgb reach as high as 11.3. Unfortunately Medicare will not pay if the Hgb is 11 or higher which means I skip the injections anytime I test that high. By the next week after skipping, a gap of two weeks since injections, my Hgb falls to low 10s or even on occasion high 9s. Just recently I had a gap of three weeks and in that period my Hgb fell from 11.3 to 9.0. So for me Neupogen is a success.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert