MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New Here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alice S
    Participant

Hi, I have been visiting the forum for awhile and have decided to sign up. My mother was diagnosed with MDS RA in December 2004. She lives in Pretoria, South Africa (she was born in Hungary though). Her hgb + wbc are very low and she has transfusions every month. Her platlet count stayed high but dropped this year and BMB’s in June+ July 06 show that she has only 5% functioning bone marrow and 10% of that are now blasts. Her sister is not a match and a search is on for a marrow donor. Needs matching platelet donors too.

She is otherwise healthy,very positive with a lot of faith and very informed which is why I also referred her to this site as she hasn’t met anyone else with MDS. She eats healthy and only takes vitamins etc although her new Doctor is looking at boosting her marrow. Will hopefully know soon what she will try.

She will probably read this soon and I hope it will cheer her up even more! Now she can be a part of a large family who know what she is going through, as for me, I too will have friends to whom I can speak to who know how I feel.
    Thanks and hoping to hear from you all soon.

SandyB

Welcome Alice and Mom,

You will find the persons involved on this forum to be helpful and compassionate.

Most of us rely on each other for information sharing and moral boosting and are available day and night.

Your situations are much like the rest of ours, and we look forward to talking with you.

Kiwi Ken

Hi Alice, Read and learn as much as you can, it does get easier as you go on.
    Good luck.
    Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert