MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New MDS girl

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New MDS girl

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    covergirl

Hello to all,
    I am pretty much newly diagnosed MDS. I am a 46year old African-American female w/Int.-1 RARS. Since Jan 2005 illness w/March 2005 diagnosis, I have had 6 transfusions(2units each). Will be starting a 5day treatment of ATG next month. Long-term goal is to get me to bone marrow transplant with Viadaza treatment. My only sibling, my brother, did not match, however, 5-6 of 6 matches found in BMTprogram.
    I have felt ok, only missed days of work for transfusions. Weird to have a disease as I have been the caretaker of my family.
    Just really into the research stage and am glad to have found this forum. I intend to be a regular member.
    To all I thank you in advance for the info you have and will share on this forum and wish us all success on this new journey. Your posts are preparing me.

Carrie

covergirl,

Welcome to the board. I’m sorry you have to be here. But if you have to be somewhere, I’m glad it’s here.

My dad has a different kind of MDS so I can’t really relate much to your circumstances.

He has been and will probably be still be treated with Vidaza, though.

I hope you gain a lot from the wonderful people on this board.

Love,
    Carrie

Kathryn

Hey, I just wanted to welcome you as well… You have definitely come to the right place! This is a very supportive & informative forum..

Best wishes to you,

Kathryn

covergirl

Thanks Kathryn and Carrie. Just found this forum this morning and already I have learned a lot.. I plan to check at least once a day.

Marsha

Covergirl,

Welcome, you are not alone, even tho alot of us have different sub-classifications of MDS are worries and questions are the same. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

God BLess, Marsha

shirlsgirl

Welcome aboard!!

frank
    Participant

where are you getting ATG?

just welcome to the forum, thanks for posting…

Frank

sarah

Welcome to forum

Terri

Welcome, and wish you well

Suzanne

welcome Covergirl, You are not far away. Where are you being treated? Have you been to a center of excellence for MDS? It can make a real difference. Glad to see that you have one of the types of MDS that is supposed to be easier to live with.

covergirl

Hi Suzanne,
    Many thanks to you and all for your warm welcome. I am being treated at MCV by Dr. John McCarty. I am not sure if it is a center of excellence for MDS, but Dr. M teaches Dr’s about MDS and is on par with the lead Dr.’s at Duke and John Hopkins. I am comfortable with him and have heard great things about him via a family member in the pharma industry.
    How do you know you are at a center of excellence for MDS
    I am so new to do this I don’t even recognize I have type MDS that is supposed to be easier to live with. Through the grace of God, I just live…one day at a time.
    Again, thanks for the welcome and heads up.

Suzanne

Living a day at a time is a good way to deal with this disease! To be a center of excellence I think the institution needs to treat a certain number of MDS patients and also be doing research in the disease. There is a list on the main part of this site. You doctor sounds great.If he is at a par with doctors at Duke and Hopkins-both centers of excellence , you are well taken care of. Luckily you are young enough to look at a transplant. they have made so much progress with doing those successfully that you could have real hope of a cure.

covergirl

This Forum is wonderful. I feel like I have met 1000 new friends.
    Thanks for making this new life experience hopeful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert