MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New MDS patient

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New MDS patient

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bluej

I was diagnosed in 2/07 with MDS. Only treatment was transfusions and procrit for 8 weeks. Now, I’m taking Vidaza shots 7days, then off for 3 weeks. I’ve only had 1 set of shots. FDA recently approved an IV form of Vidaza, but my insurance co. says I have to wait 6 months before using IV instead of shots. The shots caused terrible bruising and knots under the skin. Maybe the IV would be better. Any one using the IV form? Also, I have -5 cromosome depleted, which is much worse than -5q. Anyone have this? How are you doing. I’m 55 and trying to learn all I can. Anyone have experience with Vanderbilt Oncology (Nashville, Tenn.) Please respond.

Russ P.

Bluej, You will find this forum very helpful. Try using the search to find posts to answer your questions. For example do a search for “Vidaza”. Regarding the bruising it is somewhat normal but make sure the syringes are shaken well before injection and is injected slowly. Perhaps having the Vidaza divided in 3 syringes would be better than 2. Don’t put ice on as it could cause the knots. If painful apply a cortisone cream. My main problem with Vidaza was constipation for a week. Best wishes – remember each patient is different and reacts differently.
    Russ

Carl

bluej,

I have been to Vanderbilt Cancer Center many times as a secondary check on my local oncologist. They are very good and I would recommend that you go there. But, be sure to take their recommendations as only that, a recommendation, because they can sometimes be very agressive in treating MDS and you may not want to go that route at that time.

Good luck.

bluej

Thank you all for responding. I had 2 units of blood this morning due to a red ct. of 8.6 yesterday and the way I felt. I am still working at a school, but my husband and I have decided to check out disability options I may have. Very difficult to keep doing this. Know of any one who has been able to get disability with MDS?

Erma

Terri

Bluej, I am a caregiver, But my Husband Bob has been on Vidaza for several years. Its a mtc for him. If you see my user name and search some of my post I have documented on and off his updates which include so many ups and downs but He keeps fighting through them so Just keep a positive attitude, This forum has given me so much information.

jaxem

bluej
    my wife was a school social worker but was forced to retire because of mds. the state of NJ and the NJEA considers the disease a disibility providing benefits accordingly.

Ira N.

Hi bluej,

Thanks for posting. I have just started receiving Social Security Disability checks. Go to: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/ to sign up and/or get more information. Takes about 5 months from the time you apply so don’t wait. To qualify you must have worked X amount of years depending on your age and when you became disabled.

The money comes in real handy since I can no longer work. Good Luck!!

Ira

bluej

Thank you all for the info on disability. You made my day. I will be trying for the disability with the State of KY, as well as Social Security. And Jack, I too am a Social worker of sorts. My title is Family Advocate. Thanks again.

Erma

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert