MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New on board

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New on board

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JenOwen

Hello, I am from the UK and was diagnosed MDS about 18 months ago. My last platelet count was 1376. Very new to all this and having searched the net this weekend – very frightened of some of the things that I have read. Currently taking Anagrelide Hydrochloride for three months to hopefully kickstart a reduction in the platelet count. Last summer it was down to just over 600. Is any one on Dr Peter J D’Adamo’s blood diet? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Terri

Welcome to the forum. Most of the people here you will find have Low platlets, as is my husbands case.
    What class of MDS do you have and what are your other counts.
    Wishing you the best.

Hello Jen:

I’m not on the D’Adamo diet, but I have read his book. I found it problematic, but thought the information regarding the lectins was interesting. So I did a small search and found this link http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/eat_right.html
    They gave an interesting explanation regarding the lectins and but also gave the book a thumbs down. D’Adamo makes huge assumptions regarding which blood types existed first. There is too much speculation on that, so if he is wrong which came first, then likely his diet is also wrong. Another problem I felt about D’Adamo’s diet is when you take a look at other animals. Horses have 34 different blood type. Dogs have about 11, pigs have about 16, cattle have about 11, and the list goes on. If humans have to have different diets based upon our 4 blood types, then should animals be the same way? I.e. 34 different diets for horses, 11 for dogs, 16 for pigs, and so on? As far as I know, all horses eat grass regardless of their blood type, all cattle are vegetarians, all dogs are carnivores, etc. I believe what keeps humans and animals healthy is that they eat what is appropriate for the specific species. In our case, whole foods free of chemicals and additives. Might I suggest you visit the Weston Price Organization dealing with eating traditional foods. You can visit their link at http://www.westonaprice.org I feel that many of their diet recommendations are spot on for improved health. Much of my diet is based upon many of their concepts regarding foods.

Take care,

Marla

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert